Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Ready-made roll up pie crusts >

Ready-made roll up pie crusts

Ready-made roll up pie crusts

Old 01-12-2016, 10:03 AM

Default Ready-made roll up pie crusts

Without using any brand names, I'd like to know if anyone else is having problems with the refrigerated pie crusts that are rolled up and sold 2 to a package. Please don't tell me about a 'no fail pie crust recipe,' or any of that. I am not trying to be difficult, but I'm puzzled about the refrigerated crusts.
We bought a store brand and they looked and felt like plastic. Previously, they gave good results. So we then bought a national brand. Both crusts stuck like crazy to the pie pan. (I mainly make pecan pies.) So I thought I'd actually read the directions since I've been making them for years. It suggested flouring the crust before placing it in the pan, so I did that. WHAT A MESS! That was even worse than not flouring it. Plus, when I looked through the bottom of the glass pan, the whole crust had cracks all through it. Almost like the pieces were cut, placed in the pan, and then the filling. Weirdest thing I've seen.
SO...has the recipe changed on these or do you have any suggestions?
Old 01-12-2016, 10:10 AM

Yes I used to get one I really liked guess they quit selling it anyway got another brand and yes had the same problems sticking and and the taste is not the same
Old 01-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Nope I just make my own crusts but my sister buys the little frozen tart tins and likes those. Does anyone make the pie shells frozen in the aluminum pans? That might be the way to go if they do.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:59 AM

I started making my own crusts as the store-bought crusts did exactly what you mentioned. I sprayed the pans, floured the pans, used name brand shortening, did nothing, etc. And even after thawing out the crusts, to unroll those things and have perfect circles never happened. There was always a bunched up end to the circle. Never fit my pie pans, even the smallest size. Not worth it in my house.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:43 AM

I made my own crusts for years and years and then my dad got me started on the name brand (red box, little dough boy). I let them thaw out on the counter for about an hour. I spray the pie pan with a cooking spray but have never floured the pie shell. I have a ceramic pie pan and a glass pie pan and the glass one will tend to stick sometimes.
The only guess that I have is that either there were holes in the crust so your sticky pecan filling somehow leaked in between the crust and the pan, or perhaps it was filled too far up to the rim and the pecan filling expanded and dripped over the side. Either way, you'd end up with pecan filling sticking the crust to the pan.
This post brought back a memory from my first marriage. My husband bragged all the time about his mother's pies. Being a newlywed I figured since I loved pie too I'd learn to make pies. Made several pies with a store bought shell. He ate them but remarked that his mom made her own pie shells. Okay, I can do that. Next time I made pie I also made the crust. He ate the pie and scraped the crust in the trash. I thought he didn't like the taste so I asked him why he threw the crust away. He said, "I said mom made her own crust, I didn't say I ate it." I hadn't noticed he was only eating the filling! Short marriage!
Old 01-12-2016, 11:52 AM

I have not had a problem unless the filling spills over the edge. maybe spraying with a nonstick product would help? I do pop mine in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds to warm them up so I do not stretch them to thin. Make sure all cracks are sealed up on the bottom and sides. I only had this problem when the crust was still too chilled.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:08 PM

I use the common red package frozen pie shells that roll up all the time. DH loves blueberry pie and I do not always feel like starting from scratch to make the pie dough. I get cracks in my dough when I unroll them if I have not let them thaw out enough. Of course, the opposite is true, if I let them warm up too much (in warmer seasons) they kinda mush together and it is a piece meal mess.

There is the just right temperature for the pie shells. If I can unroll it in the air (above the pie plate) without it coming apart then lower it to the pie pan, I know I have the right temperature. Also, if you have cracks, just let it thaw a bit more in the pie pan and finger push the cracks together. Works for me, I hope it will work for you.

I hope this helps. I use steel, glass and aluminum pie pans. Usually they do not stick to the pie pan.

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 01-12-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:24 PM

Coopah, I made several pecan pies this past holiday season. What made my store brand and national brand crust stick was when I baked the pie too long. I really had to watch it and pull it out as soon as it set. Really made a difference. I also poked holes with a fork all overt the bottom and sides so the crust didn't puff up. I really liked the crusts from that Florida super market with the white and green sign. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2016, 05:18 AM

I am a failure at rolling out pie crust so I do use the name brand roll up pie crust. I simply warm to room temp and lightly flour the one side and place it to the bottom of the pan. I've never had a problem with them and they are a lot easier for me than having to pick up the "attempted roll out" dough off the wall where I've gotten frustrated and thrown it....LOL

Last edited by lindaschipper; 01-13-2016 at 05:19 AM. Reason: mispelled
Old 01-13-2016, 05:46 AM

I make my own pie crusts and they come out fine. Since this past Christmas I just started making them adding about 1/2 t. vanilla and about 2 t. sugar to flour....not bad!