View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 01:51 PM
J Miller

Default National Coronado Reversew update

Last November I picked up a National (badged as Coronado) Reversew machine.
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...o-t271891.html }
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...g-t272295.html }

At first it worked great but then I lubed it, cleaned it a bit and put in a new needle. After that it began breaking the thread, throwing tension tantrums, and it even bent two needles. I've checked everything I did and I did nothing to cause this. Needle is in correctly and it's threaded correctly.
And the shuttle is threaded correctly as well.

OK, today I tried to figure it out and one minute it's sewing sorta OK, great tension, but the needle is dull, then again I put in a new needle and it starts breaking the thread. To say I'm confused would be an understatement.

So, since the shuttle is part of the problem area, I removed the shuttle carrier to look at it. It's bent and shows signs of some kind of damage.

Here are some pictures, hopefully the bend and damage will be evident.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540042[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540040[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540034[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540036[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540037[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540038[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540039[/ATTACH]

From comparing the arm with the screw hole in it to a couple of my other VS machines it looks bent and twisted. There is also some kind of marks on both sides between the screw hole and shuttle mount that looks like a set screw was clamped on it, but there's no place for that to happen.

What I'm hoping is that someone here will have one of these machines or another National with a good shuttle carrier they can photo for me. I doubt I can straighten this one but I'd like to confirm or deny that it's bent before I hunt down a replacement.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_6458.jpg   img_6459.jpg   img_6461.jpg   img_6463.jpg   img_6464.jpg  

img_6312.jpg   img_6301.jpg