View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Roben

Ruth, you've gotten some really great advice. I can only add that in my experience, where you get it is just as important than what you get, especially as the machines move up the money ladder. When I wanted to really get into sewing, I went to a Viking Dealer. I want to be able to pick up the phone, or grab a machine and project and go for help, classes and an excuse to be around other sewers. I've been fortunate in that I was able to get a Scandinavia 400 and a used Designer 1. The 400 was new and I love her to death; I relied on the dealer for the D1 and have had many problems with it. I'm doing all my quilting on the 400.

I've been told many things by dealers and their employees; my best advice is to ask for recommendations, visit and learn who you feel comfortable with. If something doesn't sound quite right; trust your instincts and walk away until you can check it out with others who have that brand of machine. Its a lot of money, even for a smaller machine. I've found a new dealer who didn't balk at my having the service manual for my D1 (I've been that desperate!), who has classes and teachers I can learn from, who doesn't let 'user error' be the first words out and is happy when I walk in the door. I went in the other day and within the first minute of looking at the Babylock Quest I was asked if I'd like to sew on it (some dealers I've been to won't let you actually sit at a machine and sew - they don't get my money.)