Thread: Fitbit
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 12:08 PM
RugosaB

My husband works for a BP Refinery and to be eligible for the high deductible health insurance he (and his wife - me) has to earn 1000 points each in various ways. Last year we each needed 250,000 steps, measured with a FitBit, to get 200 points. We did.
There were other ways to get points. The high deductible health insurance is a lot cheaper monthly than the old way. It seems if you use it more, it costs a bit more, I think a fairer way.
The fitbit and all the keeping track of all that was furnished by BP. After about a month mine stopped working, and the Fitbit co replaced it right away.

This year, things are different. We don't get any points until we each have 1,000,000 steps, and then it's 500 pts. Also, anyone who needs a new Fitbit needs to buy one. I have one of the cheapest, , it's $100 plus shipping. I doubt, if this thing stops working, I will buy one and just get my points another way. I can see why they now have this policy as many people let theirs go through the laundry, and other things, but mine just stopped working. I'm not paying $100 for something that measures what I would do anyways. See, I didn't step anymore, and I won't step any less if I don't have it.

I suspect we're supposed to go to the FitBit site and get into forming teams, and competing with others, but that's not my way. I'm just not really competitive and don't use that to try and sty healthy.

The way I look at it, I'll play their game as long as it doesn't cost me anything.

All I have set up is how many steps I take. All that other info, to me, is private