Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fitbit

Fitbit

Anyone have one of these? Opinions?

Power Poster
    ​My DIL has one and loves it.

I think they are over priced. I haven't done the research, but Tommie Copper has one that is less than $30.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I had a Nike Fuel band first and adored it. Multiple issues! The first one out of the box didn't work, second one worked 4 months and last one made it 7 months. I purchased a Fitbit about 6 months ago.
    Pros: it's on my arm and I can tap it to see if I have met my goal of steps for the day by little lights that light up as I progress thru the day.
    Cons: It has lights only. My fuel band showed exactly how many steps & calories.
    It has a rubber band feel and is stiff so I can't stand to wear it at night.
    The fuel band was more like a bangle bracelet.
    The bands can break easy and it's hard to get on.
    You have to clean the little hole the tracker goes in.
    You have to charge it every 4 or 5 days and it takes forever to charge.
    It you don't have a smart phone and don't check your email often then you have a dead Fitbit.
    Fuel band went 7-10 days charge and you could see it needed charging.
    I wish I'd done more research and picked something different.

I got a cheap version on Amazon 15 sterling does the same links with my phone, does what it says on tin. I am not an exercise person so didn't want to spend a fortune, this does the same things an expensive one does and works for me.

I bought one for each of my family members for Christmas year before last. They all still use them. My DD bought an upgraded one this last year. One warning: The small bracelet was too darn hard to fasten! I couldn't do it by myself. So check that out before buying. I bought the bangle bracelet for it and like it much better. There are a lot of different brands out now that all do basically the same. I would pick the one that looks the best and I wanted to wear all the time.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    i love mine !!
    QUILTNMO

I was given one about 9 months ago. I really like it, it interfaces with my phone. And my fitness app. If it would get me up and moving about more it would be darn near perfect!.
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ghlight=Fitbit

more on the topic. I don't have one
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I have the Fitbit One that I got through the fitness program at work. It's a small clip on unit that tracks steps, floors calories burned, and distance. You can set alarm reminders, too. If you wear it at night it can monitor your sleep and gives a record of when you were restless. I've only had it a couple of months but it has made me more aware of being active.

Blog Entries
    Do they all link to smart phone?
    Finished is better than a UFO

Dottymo, you download an app on android/iPhone, and the Fitbit/watch links to it, you check your stats on the phone, my watch shows text messages andd who's calling, which is handy when my phone is in my bag.

I've got a Vivfit by Garmin, which costs less. It tracks my steps, makes a rough calculation of calories used based on my steps and weight, lets me know how many more steps I should take based on the goal I set. it also monitors my sleep, gives me the time and date. The cons are that the face is not back-lit, the band is tricky to secure, and the instructions are not complete. I had to download instructions from the internet. Pros are that I'm moving more; the watch will work for a year out of the box without having to be recharged; syncs with either my iPad or iMac (and, I presume, iPhones, and probably Androids); tracks my sleep patterns. I'm highly tolerant of wearing a watch, even one with a fairly thick plastic band, 24-7, so that is not an issue for me. it was about $67 at BJ's.

I just charged mine up after letting my granddaughter borrow it. I did the update and now I can't figure out anything! It used to be so easy to check stats on my iPhone or computer, but now it seems so complicated. Or maybe because I'm a year older my brain isn't working as well...
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

I've only had mine for a month and really like it. Now if I could just reach my daily goal!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by waltonalice View Post
    I've got a Vivfit by Garmin, which costs less. It tracks my steps, makes a rough calculation of calories used based on my steps and weight, lets me know how many more steps I should take based on the goal I set. it also monitors my sleep, gives me the time and date. The cons are that the face is not back-lit, the band is tricky to secure, and the instructions are not complete. I had to download instructions from the internet. Pros are that I'm moving more; the watch will work for a year out of the box without having to be recharged; syncs with either my iPad or iMac (and, I presume, iPhones, and probably Androids); tracks my sleep patterns. I'm highly tolerant of wearing a watch, even one with a fairly thick plastic band, 24-7, so that is not an issue for me. it was about $67 at BJ's.
    this is the one I got for around 50 at BJ's. Works great and I have a problem that first of all most watches, etc are too big for my wrist, the small one fits great, and normally things bug me but mine doesn't bother me at all.

Dr Oz did a study on them and even though he wouldn't give out brand names he said the more expensive ones which can go over 500 were the least accurate of all of them. None were completely accurate. Mine does really well and it can motivate you to do more. Mine is really accurate as to my sleep so I'm assuming its more accurate on the other things too. It syncs to my Samsung phone, tablet, computer, etc.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by waltonalice View Post
    Really like my Vivfit by Garmin!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    I have the Fitbit One that I got through the fitness program at work. It's a small clip on unit that tracks steps, floors calories burned, and distance. You can set alarm reminders, too. If you wear it at night it can monitor your sleep and gives a record of when you were restless. I've only had it a couple of months but it has made me more aware of being active.
    Got one for my husband for Christmas. He loves it. Simple to set up and use which was essential for him as he is not computer literate. Just ordered one for myself.

I was given one for birthday in September. Wore it for a while, though it would not count the steps I walked on treadmill. I wore it in my bra and called it my boobit. Counted the treadmill steps that way. I have gotten bored with it and no longer wear it.

I have had mine for over a year and love it! I feel super guilty if I don't reach the 10,000 step goal per day so it is motivating. I have the basic bracelet but am looking into upgrading to one of the fancier ones soon. If you go to the Fitbit site, you can add friends and then participate in challenges which makes it a bit more fun.

I wear mine every day although I almost never hit the goal of 10,000 steps.

I have the Fitbit One, but I no longer use it. It measures steps well and I like the number about the flights of stairs climbed, but I also do a lot of things that it cannot measure. I use the stationary bike at the Y. I swim and do a water aerobics class, so my numbers on those days was an inaccurate measure of my activity. I hike a lot and steps on a hiking trail are not always the same length as my steps when I walk in my neighborhood, so the steps were correct but the mileage was very inaccurate. And the calorie count never made sense. It was fun at first, then became something else I had to keep charged.

I have a Fitbit Charge and it does help with motivating me (when I remember to wear it ) I once walked all through my house 3x just to hit 8000 steps before I went to bed. The only problem I've had is that it is not always accurate with counting stairs. It once registered that I climbed 10 flights of stairs in a day...that doesn't happen in a week. I like that the version I have also has a heart monitor... shows your heart rate.

I got one last May for my birthday. I have the Fitbit One which is a small clip on style that can be clipped to your waist band or in your pocket. The clip is very strong & have no trouble keeping it on but I usually wear it in my pocket. It records steps, distance, how many times you go up and down stair steps, sleep patterns and you can enter your foods you ate for the day and it tells you your calories plus carbs, fats & etc each day. Once a week, it gives me my Fitbit report. I really like mine. I have used various step counters over the years but this is the best I have used. I much prefer it over a wrist style. Mine is linked to my computer for reports. I get an email telling me it needs to be charged which I do by plugging into the computer - no batteries needed.

Blog Entries
    I made sure mine was also a watch so that when I quit really paying attention to what I walked, etc I'd at least have a watch. Which I wanted because I hate having to pull out my cell to see the time. I rarely looked at my results but I have a great watch and it keeps great time and it fits. When you have small wrist its hard to find one that does. I only have one that fits and its an antique Rolex, that you have to wind. I always forget to wind it.
    Judy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast