Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Facebook "LIKE" warning

Facebook "LIKE" warning

Just thought this article (a warning) was interesting as many of us post "likes" on our friends websites.

http://www.komando.com/tips/344844/o...-on-facebook/3

It may be good advice. Everything in life is dicey. I am not going to worry about this stuff.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Thanks for sharing that. It's good to keep that in mind...
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Another reason to stay away from Facebook......

Blog Entries
    I agree, besides I could never see a need to have someplace that I posted what I was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    I agree, besides I could never see a need to have someplace that I posted what I was doing.
    How true....when I was a teen, I like most girls at that time...had a diary....but was burned when I got older...not Facebook...that's out there forever..for all to see

I dislike facebook immensely and do not go there at all !

This is excellent advice!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm on FAcebook everyday. It's a way for me to see what's going on with family. I've gotten business leads off Facebook and just this morning a niece gave birth to her second baby. Those are my main reasons. There are also other quilting sites similar to QB whose members post their creativity. You do have to be careful what to like and not like. Also many abducted children and lost seniors have been found through FAcebook. Many things lost and found and returned have happened through FAcebook. There's a lot of good going on through FAcebook. Lost Quilts has a page on Facebook to post and share quilts that as we know may have been stolen. If I get a warning, I just exit the link/page. If one sees something they don't like they can choose to "hide" or "not follow''. SAmething with people it's your choice to be friends with or not. If I get a friend request and don't recognize the person, I look for mutual friends and ask for their opinion/reference. You don't have to like everything. When my uncle passed away, many of my other family were almost immediately notified. People have found locations of criminals through Facebook. It isn't all negative. A lot of positive.

Tessagin, I agree with you, most of my family lives in Europe, I keep tabs on all my cousins and friends and I keep current on what happens in my home town. If a post offends me I hide it, I've never had any problems, it all a matter of common sense, if I don't know a person or a site I just skip it.

I avoid Facebook, I have it set up so that if someone messages me directly I get an email, but otherwise I avoid it. It's a really nice rich source of information for scammers and hackers, and I don't trust Facebook as a company to treat my private information with the proper level of security. I don't pay for Facebook, that means my information and tracking information about my activities are what's being sold. No thanks! I have it locked down so people can't tag me without my permission. I have a coworker who is constantly trying to tag me on things and it drives me nuts...if we go out to lunch, she's got to post the restaurant name, the date & time and list my name. WHY? So stalkerish, I don't like it at all. I can't stop her from doing it, I can block it from my own feed and try to un-tag myself but that's all I can do. Irritates me, and I've asked her not to do it, but she "forgets". I think I'm going to start "forgetting" to meet her for lunch. Argh.

Plus I learned way too much about some of the distressingly blatantly racist opinions of some of my and my DH's family members. I've deleted a lot of "friends" from my account for that reason and refused to re-add any of them. I was pretty heartbroken over a couple of them but I have a zero tolerance policy for those sorts of attitudes in my life.

Can you tell that Facebook makes me grouchy? LOL

I go on Facebook to see what the family that does not live close is doing it is a great place to share pictures with family and friends. Everything has its bad features so one has to be careful. Thanks for posting and keeping us on our toes. 😊
    Age is mind over matter.......if you don't mind ........it doesn't matter! 😂
    Nancy

I like Facebook but I never 'like' any post or picture. I don't see the point to get likes. I will reply with text if I like something. I have my Share set to share with 'only me' so I save pictures and posts to myself. No one else can see them. I have my Facebook set so private my DD says nothing shows up on my Timeline and I have it set so only friends and family see it anyway. I have a another facebook page for quilting. No correct personal info on that one at all. Facebook works for me, I find great deals and flash sales that save me money and have won many of the give aways posted, especially the quilting ones.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up!
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

In all things, use common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I like Facebook but I never 'like' any post or picture. I don't see the point to get likes. I will reply with text if I like something. I have my Share set to share with 'only me' so I save pictures and posts to myself. No one else can see them. I have my Facebook set so private my DD says nothing shows up on my Timeline and I have it set so only friends and family see it anyway. I have a another facebook page for quilting. No correct personal info on that one at all. Facebook works for me, I find great deals and flash sales that save me money and have won many of the give aways posted, especially the quilting ones.

Winning giveaways.....are they mailed to you?

this is one of my pet peeves on FB, all my friends who automatically post Amen or Like to whatever nonsense comes down the pike. "This kid has cancer, can he get 100,000 likes?" Well, A, he had progeria, not cancer, B, he has passed on already, and C, the person posting is not related to him in anyway. Talk about kneejerk reactions. "Hit like if you think this puppy is cute" WHY for the love of all that is holy???!! What is the point?

I have found I can "Hide" the user that my friends are clicking on without unfriending them. So I no longer see posts from those particular like-farmers. Every so often I post an article about like-farming but I doubt it does any good.