Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Satellite Price Hike

Satellite Price Hike

I just got notified in the mail that my subscription is going up $5. Not that big of a deal I guess, but have to ask those of you who have been around as long as I and remember the days when there was no cable/satellite available. TV was free because of the commercials. Well, I don't subscribe to any premium channels (to expensive) so that being said everything I watch has commercials. Why do we have to pay so much when we are basically getting the same thing that we got for free years ago. Yes, I know more channels are available, but they still have commercials. Maybe the TV stations are ripping off the cable/satellite co's? Anyone else out there find this frustrating? I may just have to dump TV altogether. Being on a fixed income is tough when prices keep going up.

I totally agree with you. You may want to look into Roku, Apple TV or Amazon fire. With so many channels wanting to provide viewing of their shows on the Go, I think these devices sometimes rely on the apps from your tablet or phone. I can't get satellite TV signal from my porch which faces north so you are paying a little less than what I have to fork out.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

You could look into a simple antenna for local stations, like we used to get. There are still commercials, but once you buy a relatively inexpensive antenna you can watch for free. Mine looks like a sheet of paper, and it goes indoors - but I just use it on my computer with another gizmo. I'm planning on putting one on the tv in the guest room. don't need to pay for a device to sit up there unused until company comes. We are still happy with our service on the main TV but we are on the introductory two years. After that will regroup and maybe switch providers for their introductory two years.

For Apple TV, once you buy the device, don't you have to buy the programs from iTunes? And netflix has a cost too. Cheaper than cable/satellite, but I guess the only free way is the antenna.
    Alyce

I too am in this conundrum. We just got notice that our cable is going up again and I won't tell you how much I pay for this.

My problem is trying to watch sports. My DH and I are both avid English Premier League football (soccer) supporters and I love Olympic sports. While I could get some weekend coverage of Olympic sports with local coverage available by antenna, there is no easy/inexpensive access to English Premier League football.

Quote Originally Posted by catsden View Post
    I just got notified in the mail that my subscription is going up $5. Not that big of a deal I guess, but have to ask those of you who have been around as long as I and remember the days when there was no cable/satellite available. TV was free because of the commercials. Well, I don't subscribe to any premium channels (to expensive) so that being said everything I watch has commercials. Why do we have to pay so much when we are basically getting the same thing that we got for free years ago. Yes, I know more channels are available, but they still have commercials. Maybe the TV stations are ripping off the cable/satellite co's? Anyone else out there find this frustrating? I may just have to dump TV altogether. Being on a fixed income is tough when prices keep going up.
    My TV cable/internet went up $9.88! per month. I called & complained. Was told certain prices are Government controlled & out of their hands. We have to pay for sports stations & some kind of transporting/converting fees, we never use. We do not watch sports period! I still kept complaining. We're also on fixed income. I eventually got a discount of almost $30.00 off a month for 1 year. My one neighbor calls every year, complains & gets a 1 year discount. Never hurts to call & complain.

I also called my heating oil company & got my locked in price reduced.

I don't ever remember cable TV being free. We had to pay for the cable to be connected & monthly service fees. Antenna TV was free.

My friend is another who is diligent about making notes in her calendar and calls all appropriate vendors/suppliers requesting...and usualoy getting...senior citzen discounts. Virtually all give her discounts every year or renewal period. I can't claim the fixed income justification, unfortunately. Hubs has managed to get our cable/phone/internet bill reduced a couple of times but it's still ridiculously expensive. We still have all old tube tvs, so can't use the digital antenna yet. Hubs wants a new tv but I've always been of the mindset as long as it still works there is no need to replace it. He is usually like minded but he's getting whiny about the weight of the existing one when it comes to rearranging the house for Christmas decorating.

Catsden, I have had the same thought about paying to watch commercials! I'm sure that back when the big push came for cable TV we thought the commercials would go away, maybe that was "hoped". It seems like there are more commercials than ever and sometimes I just turn the TV off, especially near the end of a show when it seems there are 5 minutes of commercials then 2 minutes of the program. We have cable and pay a high price for it, much of it for our kids and grandkids to watch so don't want to get rid of it. Oh well, I sound like an old curmongen):

Lately the programs on both regular tv and cable channels are not worth watching.......and some of the programs are really old.....

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    We still have all old tube tvs, so can't use the digital antenna yet. Hubs wants a new tv but I've always been of the mindset as long as it still works there is no need to replace it. He is usually like minded but he's getting whiny about the weight of the existing one when it comes to rearranging the house for Christmas decorating.
    You can get a converter box for your old analog tv's and then add the antenna for local stations. That's what I'm going to do at some point--maybe when the winter is gone! My big problem is that my email address is tied to my cable, email comes thru the cable web site so I have to set up a different email host first and then can let go of cable and phone and just keep internet for now.....later maybe find just an internet isp cheaper. and go with antenna tv.

DH put up an outdoor antenna when our bill went over $100 for the middle package with 2 tvs. We get about 30 channels on the antenna and it cost about $75 to put up. We also purchased Netflix back in Sept. and love it. We've almost quit watching regular tv except for the news and PBS. I never thought my DH would give up tv as he is one who can zone out in front of the set from morning til night and is also a sports nut.

My parents bought cable for the TV back in 1966. We couldn't get much without it and the antenna on top of 3 story house scared my mom and when my dad went out to fix it during a wind storm she called the cable company the next day. Since so much is now broadcast in digital you do need a conversion box but it is a one time charge. When my DH & I were first married we had a black and white TV that we used "rabbit ears" to get the local stations because you had to pay per TV and the apartment only had one cable connection.

Blog Entries
    when our went up I called and said I was going to have to cancel and suddenly they reversed the charge
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    We literally get access to hundreds of channels we never use -- sports, etc. It would be great if one could get channels they would actually watch in custom packages rather than having to purchase multiple packages to get three or four channels you watch and 50 or 60 channels you never watch. With all the computers available today, they should know exactly what channels we watch and which ones we never view.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    We literally get access to hundreds of channels we never use -- sports, etc. It would be great if one could get channels they would actually watch in custom packages rather than having to purchase multiple packages to get three or four channels you watch and 50 or 60 channels you never watch. With all the computers available today, they should know exactly what channels we watch and which ones we never view.
    thats is the same here.....foreign language stations, old, old reruns, repair ion of programs on various channels...some days all these hundreds of channels and not one is offering anything good enough to sit down to watch!

wish packages could be customized by customer.....

Blog Entries
    If you have a smart tv, you can subscribe to Amazon Prime.The cost is $107 per year. To me this is a lot cheaper and the programs are great. The only draw back is you must have internet. I have both Fios and prime tv. I am locked into a contract for 2 years. But when it's over I will be going to just the internet from them. I can't wait.
    Never put off what you can do today, because tomorrow may never come.

Blog Entries
    It doesn't make any difference if you have cable or dish you still have commercials. With cable you pay for 100 channels =10 missing numbers - 20 that are info and religion - 2 weather and 1 that is local town stuff now add internet and it is now $105. Where I'm at the town is split 1/2 get NBC & FOX the other 1/2 get ABC & CBS no one gets PBS Weirdly tho every one gets that station that plays all the old stuff like Green Acres and the Brady Bunch with the converter box. I'm in the process of moving into my own house and doing some shopping around with the Dish companies because I live in the area that does not get CBS and all my favorites are on it.

Where we are, no cable or dish, no TV, we are too far from transmission towers. When I lived south of Ft. Worth TX we had great TV, not in # of channels but what we had. Sure miss that. Not the weather however.

I just spoke to Directv today to take off the NFL sports package and had her put a note in the file not to auto renew. I have her name and employee number in case this doesn't happen. Good chance of that. Anyway she advised me to call every so often and see if they are having any "deals" to lower the rate - this is for those of us who still have satellite tv. We are not giving up satellite or cable any time soon.
    Alyce

We have a Roku box. You need to have internet to use it I believe but there are free stations on there. You can also access Netflix and Amazon Prime through the Roku but both those have a fee. I believe Amazon Prime is about $99 per year and Netflix might be around $10 a month but I'm not sure as we don't have it at the moment.

Cable is so very expensive and like several people have said, you don't watch half the channels and the ones you do watch have SO many commercials. We have DISH right now and that seems to be the best deal we can find. We are getting a special discount for now but I think it expires soon. Then it will be time to call again and see if I can get another one. I will probably tell them I'm thinking of switching to a special deal from DirectTV.

Blog Entries
    Call and tell your company you want the service removed and see how quickly they offer you a deal. THEN hold out for a better offer! They will keep sweetening the deal. I had this to happen on a very fixed income and I got my rate cut in half for nearly two years. When that's up, I will cancel entirely. BECAUSE we have internet and Chromecast ($35 at Best Buy) here at my son's home. My housesitter wanted it this winter otherwise it would be GONE. That, along with a single digit Netflix account, Amazon Prime, and PBS streaming, I choose whatever I want to watch usually without commercials. I have this inexpensive but awesome indoor antenna (Winegard FlatWave FL-5000 Indoor HDTV Antenna (Digital OTA TV Antenna / High-VHF / UHF / Ultra-Thin / Black and White - Reversible) - 35 Mile Long Ran) for local channels and it works great even propped up on top of the "needs binding" pile here in my studio! Once you get a set up like this, you will realize that the satellites and cable vision industry is likely to be pretty much history in due time.
    Almost forgot, Chromecast will also put youtube on your TV as well. LOVE all the quilt stuff on there! Almost any video you can google will transmit on Chromecast. You will need a Chromecast for each TV you want this to work on but it can be started from computer, phone, or tablet.
    Last edited by mhollifiel; 01-28-2016 at 10:02 AM.
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.