Satellite Price Hike

Old 01-26-2016, 07:17 PM

My parents bought cable for the TV back in 1966. We couldn't get much without it and the antenna on top of 3 story house scared my mom and when my dad went out to fix it during a wind storm she called the cable company the next day. Since so much is now broadcast in digital you do need a conversion box but it is a one time charge. When my DH & I were first married we had a black and white TV that we used "rabbit ears" to get the local stations because you had to pay per TV and the apartment only had one cable connection.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:37 PM

when our went up I called and said I was going to have to cancel and suddenly they reversed the charge
Old 01-27-2016, 04:53 AM

We literally get access to hundreds of channels we never use -- sports, etc. It would be great if one could get channels they would actually watch in custom packages rather than having to purchase multiple packages to get three or four channels you watch and 50 or 60 channels you never watch. With all the computers available today, they should know exactly what channels we watch and which ones we never view.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
We literally get access to hundreds of channels we never use -- sports, etc. It would be great if one could get channels they would actually watch in custom packages rather than having to purchase multiple packages to get three or four channels you watch and 50 or 60 channels you never watch. With all the computers available today, they should know exactly what channels we watch and which ones we never view.
thats is the same here.....foreign language stations, old, old reruns, repair ion of programs on various channels...some days all these hundreds of channels and not one is offering anything good enough to sit down to watch!

wish packages could be customized by customer.....
Old 01-27-2016, 09:21 AM

If you have a smart tv, you can subscribe to Amazon Prime.The cost is $107 per year. To me this is a lot cheaper and the programs are great. The only draw back is you must have internet. I have both Fios and prime tv. I am locked into a contract for 2 years. But when it's over I will be going to just the internet from them. I can't wait.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:00 AM

It doesn't make any difference if you have cable or dish you still have commercials. With cable you pay for 100 channels =10 missing numbers - 20 that are info and religion - 2 weather and 1 that is local town stuff now add internet and it is now $105. Where I'm at the town is split 1/2 get NBC & FOX the other 1/2 get ABC & CBS no one gets PBS Weirdly tho every one gets that station that plays all the old stuff like Green Acres and the Brady Bunch with the converter box. I'm in the process of moving into my own house and doing some shopping around with the Dish companies because I live in the area that does not get CBS and all my favorites are on it.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:27 PM

Where we are, no cable or dish, no TV, we are too far from transmission towers. When I lived south of Ft. Worth TX we had great TV, not in # of channels but what we had. Sure miss that. Not the weather however.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

I just spoke to Directv today to take off the NFL sports package and had her put a note in the file not to auto renew. I have her name and employee number in case this doesn't happen. Good chance of that. Anyway she advised me to call every so often and see if they are having any "deals" to lower the rate - this is for those of us who still have satellite tv. We are not giving up satellite or cable any time soon.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:59 PM

We have a Roku box. You need to have internet to use it I believe but there are free stations on there. You can also access Netflix and Amazon Prime through the Roku but both those have a fee. I believe Amazon Prime is about $99 per year and Netflix might be around $10 a month but I'm not sure as we don't have it at the moment.

Cable is so very expensive and like several people have said, you don't watch half the channels and the ones you do watch have SO many commercials. We have DISH right now and that seems to be the best deal we can find. We are getting a special discount for now but I think it expires soon. Then it will be time to call again and see if I can get another one. I will probably tell them I'm thinking of switching to a special deal from DirectTV.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:59 AM

Call and tell your company you want the service removed and see how quickly they offer you a deal. THEN hold out for a better offer! They will keep sweetening the deal. I had this to happen on a very fixed income and I got my rate cut in half for nearly two years. When that's up, I will cancel entirely. BECAUSE we have internet and Chromecast ($35 at Best Buy) here at my son's home. My housesitter wanted it this winter otherwise it would be GONE. That, along with a single digit Netflix account, Amazon Prime, and PBS streaming, I choose whatever I want to watch usually without commercials. I have this inexpensive but awesome indoor antenna (Winegard FlatWave FL-5000 Indoor HDTV Antenna (Digital OTA TV Antenna / High-VHF / UHF / Ultra-Thin / Black and White - Reversible) - 35 Mile Long Ran) for local channels and it works great even propped up on top of the "needs binding" pile here in my studio! Once you get a set up like this, you will realize that the satellites and cable vision industry is likely to be pretty much history in due time.
Almost forgot, Chromecast will also put youtube on your TV as well. LOVE all the quilt stuff on there! Almost any video you can google will transmit on Chromecast. You will need a Chromecast for each TV you want this to work on but it can be started from computer, phone, or tablet.

Last edited by mhollifiel; 01-28-2016 at 10:02 AM.