Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I've been using a FitBit since Christmas.

I've been using a FitBit since Christmas.

I got mixed reviews when I asked about the Fit Bit here for Christmas gifts. I bought the wrist one for myself and I love it. I have lost 7 lbs since Dec. I didn't change my diet much just being more active. I didn't realize how little activity I was getting. I thought it was much more then it was. Little thing like walking from parking lot the store, turn around and walk back to your car and back again. It really adds up. With health care cost soaring every step helps.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have thought about it....heaven knows I need to lose weight! Not real familiar with it....are there lots to chose from??

Anything that encourages us to move is a good thing! I have a great pedometer that measures the number of steps, along with the number of steps at a moderate pace, the time it took, calories burned and distance ( 1/2 mile, 1 miles, etc) It keeps track of that information for 7 days so my goal is to have steps each day.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I've never had much luck with pedometers and I have tried several different ones. They do not pick up the actual number of steps I take. When I have tested them against the same route for consistency or actually counted the number of steps I took over a prescribed route the pedometer was never consistent and considerably under-counted the number of steps I took. Have you checked the fit bit for accuracy or consistency?

Blog Entries
    I have had the small clip on FitBit for a little over a year. I've not had any problems with it, just changed the battery once. I usually check the steps total each night, helps me to get off my butt and do the same or better the next day

Congratulation Onebyone. Anything that helps you lose a little weight each month is worth it.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I've been using a pedometer since New Year's myself. I was shocked at how little I was moving until I got this. I'm not sure it's the most accurate, but it makes me move in order to compete with myself. I know I'm healthier for using it and as you say, health care is so expensive that it's up to each of us to do what we can to help our bodies fight disease and aging......

I too got a Fitbit a couple of weeks ago. One thing in particular . . . On the days I sew I have to make special effort to get my steps in. When we sew we just don't move around a lot. I'm trying to take a little more time to move around when I get up to press or retrieve something. Not sure ours are perfectly accurate, but it's all relative. Raises awareness of how little we are moving around during the day. One day at a time!!

Congrats on having success with the fitbit! I use a dog LOL ... I'm almost afraid to count how many steps I take since I walk 2-3 hours every day with her!!!!

What is Fitbit? Never heard of it, but if it's a fitness device I was probably not looking. LOL

My daughter got me one for Christmas and no we compete and I have lost 10 lbs and she has lost 18. She is a much bigger woman than I am but still It really helps that it keeps track of what I forget to do.

Love mine
    Life is Great and then I have to go to WORK.
    Jarenie

I got the FitBit for Christmas. I measures your steps, your calories, the calories burned, you can download and track via your phone....I have the tracking software on my laptop. I wear it on my wrist except when charging it...It sends you an email when your unit needs to be charged....just plug into your computer and it charges. When you fill in your food for the day...it is easy...you type a food and immediately a long list of types of that food pop up....or you can input your own calroies info.....it tracks carbs, fat, protein...and it also measures your sleeping hours per day....you just tap the wrist band when you go to bed and tap it again when you get up. It measures the times you are awake during the night and totals your hours of sleep.....what a surprise. It is on target with the sleep and wake times....it charts it for you and at the end of the week, you get a report on all your totals for review. It also tracks your weight loss when you set your weight at the beginning of use...it sets your calories needed per day to maintain your beginning weight, then when your totals fall under that, it is a good thing. Love this unit, still learning about all it can do. I am not an expert, but love what I can track so far.

I am so glad to get great info on the FitBit. I'm in a diet program and these trackers sound so interesting. I try to get exercise in, but it is hard sometimes. I thought this might help. I'm glad to hear about this from people I trust. Thanks so much for your experiences. I was going to get one at the "after Christmas" sales, but couldn't make up my mind. I think I am going to get one.
    Let peace begin with me and you.

Blog Entries
    Good for you! I got a pair of Merrell hiking shoes and did 9 to 10 miles within five days. then it snowed and I'm not going out!

One more little thing I do that maybe helps. I bought the heaviest shoes I could find, suede cold weather water repellent loafers with thick soles. Ugly but I wear them at home and in the yard. With long pants of course. Did I say the shoes were ugly? The extra weight picking up my feet does make a difference. I tried ankle weights but the shoes suit me better.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I too have a Fitbit and I really like it. It makes me so very aware of moving and it is true when I sew a lot I move very little! I have lost 12 pounds.

Blog Entries
    There is an app for smart phones that is free and it counts steps really well
    Patski
    always learning

My sewing machine and iron are on opposite sides of the house, so that gets me moving. It feels so good to get up and walk to the ironing board and back.

As for walking in the parking lot, I do that all the time. I get to the store and realize I forgot my coffee cup. They have coffee in the store, so I can't miss that. They I get back to the store and realize I forgot my grocery bag. I always try to bring my own (keep plastics out of the landfills), and besides, they give me a nickle if I bring my own. Can't miss that. It all keeps me fit.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    I tried my daughter's fitbit for a few days in Dec, then received the fitbit charge as a birthday gift. I am getting all my steps in, have found my clothes are fitting better. Really like it. I am still learning how to add the meals in and the exercise other then walking. Worth it too me!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Does the app you're referring to require a fitbit device?

What is the app called?

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Hartllk View Post
    I too got a Fitbit a couple of weeks ago. One thing in particular . . . On the days I sew I have to make special effort to get my steps in. When we sew we just don't move around a lot. I'm trying to take a little more time to move around when I get up to press or retrieve something. Not sure ours are perfectly accurate, but it's all relative. Raises awareness of how little we are moving around during the day. One day at a time!!
    I have that same problem, that when I am sewing, no steps taken or very few. I also spend time at the gym in the water and lifting weights so even though I have exercised for 2 hours, very few steps recorded. I still like it though, it does make you more aware and to try a little harder to be active.

Quote Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
    I've never had much luck with pedometers and I have tried several different ones. They do not pick up the actual number of steps I take. When I have tested them against the same route for consistency or actually counted the number of steps I took over a prescribed route the pedometer was never consistent and considerably under-counted the number of steps I took. Have you checked the fit bit for accuracy or consistency?
    Many times I tried using a pedometer and they wouldn't work properly and I do walk a lot. Then last year I got an Omron pedometer (approx $35 Cdn) that works while in your pocket, hanging around your neck or clipped to your clothing. Not sure if it has some kind of GPS thing going on or what... and it works for me. I try for 10,000 steps a day.... if I'm spending a few hours sewing I usually manage about 5,000. This model includes the aerobic steps you do and the calories etc. but I'm only interested for fun to see how close to 10,000 I can get. On hiking days I get around 17,000 steps in... feels great! Hopefully you can find something that works, it's just another little incentive to get out there.

I've heard lots of good stories about the fitbit and I enjoy hearing Bonnie Hunter talk about using hers while treadling and she counts that.