Fitbit

Old 01-28-2016, 06:44 AM

I have worn the CHARGE HR for about a year. My husband bought this after I was diagnosed with Sleep apnea, after an ER visit due to a rapid heart rate caused by an atrial flutter and the apnea and stress, etc.
I agree that it makes you more aware of moving in general. It tells me the time, how well I sleep, my heart rate, steps taken, miles walked, flights of stairs climbed, calories burnt. the app also adds water ingested, active minutes, and a New exercise tracker. I can also enter the food I've eaten, and weight to track gain or loss.
Pros and cons:
Due to the reasons I use it it has made me very aware of exercise which I was not getting enough of when working 50-60 hour weeks. Company laid me off, so that is not a problem anymore. I usually drink enough fluid during the day in the form of coffee, green and black tea, and water, but tracking when I am busy helps me know when I am truly dehydrated. I tells me how well I am sleeping at 6-7 hours a night, which is better than the 2 hours a night I was getting before my hospital stay in 2014. However, I know there are nights I am awake, and it does not register so. I believe if you are laying there quiet, and not moving, it does not register as restless or awake because there is no large increase in the heart rate. I have started an exercise class twice a week, along with walking more. It registers the walking as "active minutes" but not the exercise class which is more weights, and core work.
It may or may not register the stairs climbed. If I have something in my fitbit arm, generally it does not register my climb upstairs. So i can usually say that I have at least 2 more flights of stairs per day than it actually measured. On one other occasion, walking through Denver Int'l airpot, it registered that I had climbed 32 flights, so I figured we are just about even. In researching this anomaly, the website addressed this by saying that the gyroscope inside the fitbit needs to register a 10 foot difference in height to register a flight. It also clearly states that while they do everything to ensure accuracy, the apparatus is meant to be a guide/tool only and not meant to be the authority on what you do.
My husband is an engineer, and he researched this quite extensively. I make fun of Felix the (insert your own word here) Fitbit keeping track of me, but overall, I like it in spite of its limitations and foibles.

Good luck with your decision,
Susan