Fitbit

Old 01-27-2016, 03:42 AM

I wear mine every day although I almost never hit the goal of 10,000 steps.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:51 AM

I have the Fitbit One, but I no longer use it. It measures steps well and I like the number about the flights of stairs climbed, but I also do a lot of things that it cannot measure. I use the stationary bike at the Y. I swim and do a water aerobics class, so my numbers on those days was an inaccurate measure of my activity. I hike a lot and steps on a hiking trail are not always the same length as my steps when I walk in my neighborhood, so the steps were correct but the mileage was very inaccurate. And the calorie count never made sense. It was fun at first, then became something else I had to keep charged.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:07 AM

I have a Fitbit Charge and it does help with motivating me (when I remember to wear it ) I once walked all through my house 3x just to hit 8000 steps before I went to bed. The only problem I've had is that it is not always accurate with counting stairs. It once registered that I climbed 10 flights of stairs in a day...that doesn't happen in a week. I like that the version I have also has a heart monitor... shows your heart rate.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:47 AM

I got one last May for my birthday. I have the Fitbit One which is a small clip on style that can be clipped to your waist band or in your pocket. The clip is very strong & have no trouble keeping it on but I usually wear it in my pocket. It records steps, distance, how many times you go up and down stair steps, sleep patterns and you can enter your foods you ate for the day and it tells you your calories plus carbs, fats & etc each day. Once a week, it gives me my Fitbit report. I really like mine. I have used various step counters over the years but this is the best I have used. I much prefer it over a wrist style. Mine is linked to my computer for reports. I get an email telling me it needs to be charged which I do by plugging into the computer - no batteries needed.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:51 AM

I made sure mine was also a watch so that when I quit really paying attention to what I walked, etc I'd at least have a watch. Which I wanted because I hate having to pull out my cell to see the time. I rarely looked at my results but I have a great watch and it keeps great time and it fits. When you have small wrist its hard to find one that does. I only have one that fits and its an antique Rolex, that you have to wind. I always forget to wind it.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:32 AM

I would not purchase one for the same reason that I will not buy a cell phone (with all the bells and whistles) - They are way too expensive, I have no reason to have one. I don't want one and it never fails - when someone buys one or the other, they always complain about it! I don't worry about when I sleep restless, and I don't have a purse that makes weird noises or something that sticks out of my ear. I have a pedometer and snap it onto my jeans. That tells me how many steps I take per day - What more do I need. I don't mean to sound like a grouch or a curmudgeon, but if God had wanted us to have all this stuff to attach to our bodies, He would have made us robots. Edie
Old 01-27-2016, 06:03 AM

I love mine....It tells me how ,any times I was waking up at Night..how many hours I slept....it sends me an email when the battery is low and it sends me a weekly update on how many calories burned and how many miles I walked That week.....it really keeps me on my toes ...to keep walking and eating right.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
I would not purchase one for the same reason that I will not buy a cell phone (with all the bells and whistles) - They are way too expensive, I have no reason to have one. I don't want one and it never fails - when someone buys one or the other, they always complain about it! I don't worry about when I sleep restless, and I don't have a purse that makes weird noises or something that sticks out of my ear. I have a pedometer and snap it onto my jeans. That tells me how many steps I take per day - What more do I need. I don't mean to sound like a grouch or a curmudgeon, but if God had wanted us to have all this stuff to attach to our bodies, He would have made us robots. Edie
I love to try new things. If no one bought the new invented items, we would still be using wringer washers and the telegraph.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:08 PM

My husband works for a BP Refinery and to be eligible for the high deductible health insurance he (and his wife - me) has to earn 1000 points each in various ways. Last year we each needed 250,000 steps, measured with a FitBit, to get 200 points. We did.
There were other ways to get points. The high deductible health insurance is a lot cheaper monthly than the old way. It seems if you use it more, it costs a bit more, I think a fairer way.
The fitbit and all the keeping track of all that was furnished by BP. After about a month mine stopped working, and the Fitbit co replaced it right away.

This year, things are different. We don't get any points until we each have 1,000,000 steps, and then it's 500 pts. Also, anyone who needs a new Fitbit needs to buy one. I have one of the cheapest, , it's $100 plus shipping. I doubt, if this thing stops working, I will buy one and just get my points another way. I can see why they now have this policy as many people let theirs go through the laundry, and other things, but mine just stopped working. I'm not paying $100 for something that measures what I would do anyways. See, I didn't step anymore, and I won't step any less if I don't have it.

I suspect we're supposed to go to the FitBit site and get into forming teams, and competing with others, but that's not my way. I'm just not really competitive and don't use that to try and sty healthy.

The way I look at it, I'll play their game as long as it doesn't cost me anything.

All I have set up is how many steps I take. All that other info, to me, is private
Old 01-27-2016, 06:24 PM

Love mine, had a Flex, after almost a year I lost it last week, it fell off my wrist-after documenting purchase and explanation Fitbit replaced it free (this is a one time thing). I have already bought a Charge- WHICH I LOVE! as it functions as a watch-, I can see all my numbers without checking my phone, it tells me who's calling me etc. We get credits through our insurance so having my Charge and my new Flex as a back up is important.