View Single Post
Old 01-30-2016, 10:27 AM
steihy

I'll regard your question as a totally practical one. Like Mickey said, putting a motor on is not burning any bridges, it's a reversible action. Unscrewing the motor and slipping the belt back on takes 5 minutes. Things get a little more complicated if you want the light.

Mickey also mentioned the heavier flywheel as a small issue, but Singer supplied motorized units for a long time before the smaller flywheel (hand wheel, then) was developed. The only difference is abrupt starts and stops being a little less abrupt with more inertia. Another issue is you may not be able to fold the head fully into the table with the motor on.

I collected 5 Husqvarnas in different condition, and assembled these three from the lot. I needed them for a charity project. The one to the right was hand cranked, motorized with a Singer motor, you can see the 3 prong connector. The one to the left is fitted with the smaller hand wheel, easy to see what Mickey is talking about.
I guess the point is, it's not hard.
But unless you have a motor lying about, it's likely to cost as much as a good condition motorized machine.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Last edited by steihy; 01-30-2016 at 10:37 AM.