View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 06:33 AM
maggiew

Default Help with applique signature quilt

I need some basic help with an applique quilt. I have never done one of these before. At work we are having a 30th anniversary gala and my department head wants me to make a quilt to commemorate the event. They want to do a tree shaped design (applique) with leaves where people sign and date them. I may have to send out some leaves for people to sign and then return. Some may sign in person at the gala event.

So... my big question involves the quilting. I've search and watched many videos on applique, but don't really see HOW they do the quilting. Most of the videos are just about techniques like fusible applique vs. freezer paper, etc. Do you do the applique stitching (assuming I am doing a machine stitch around the edge) on the quilt top ONLY or do I do the machine stitching through the whole quilt sandwich? And then, do I just quilt around the applique? I assume I don't quilt on top of the applique?

I'm trying to figure out how much of the quilt to have done prior to the event. I THINK I will make the top (without any applique). I'm picturing a cream background center piece with just a single border around the edge. I'd probably like to have the tree part appliqued on already. And maybe some of the leaves if I get a few ahead of time.

So does that mean I should have the top, batting, and backing together. And the tree (and maybe a few leaves) appliqued through all layers. Then maybe the whole thing basted together?

Lastly, I need to write instructions to send with the leaves. Should I send with freezer paper on the back? Or put the fusible web on it already? And what about the markers. Would it be ok to have them use a Sharpie? I can't really ask them to buy fabric marker just for the signature and I don't think it is realistic to send one with the leaf? I don't think the quilt will be washed because it will just be a wall hanging.

Any other tips? Any pattern ideas I can use? Otherwise I am just going to free hand a design.

Thanks in advance. I've made several quilts before but wouldn't call myself an expert. I would say I'm in the learning stages!

Maggie