Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with applique signature quilt >

Help with applique signature quilt

Help with applique signature quilt

Old 02-02-2016, 06:33 AM

Default Help with applique signature quilt

I need some basic help with an applique quilt. I have never done one of these before. At work we are having a 30th anniversary gala and my department head wants me to make a quilt to commemorate the event. They want to do a tree shaped design (applique) with leaves where people sign and date them. I may have to send out some leaves for people to sign and then return. Some may sign in person at the gala event.

So... my big question involves the quilting. I've search and watched many videos on applique, but don't really see HOW they do the quilting. Most of the videos are just about techniques like fusible applique vs. freezer paper, etc. Do you do the applique stitching (assuming I am doing a machine stitch around the edge) on the quilt top ONLY or do I do the machine stitching through the whole quilt sandwich? And then, do I just quilt around the applique? I assume I don't quilt on top of the applique?

I'm trying to figure out how much of the quilt to have done prior to the event. I THINK I will make the top (without any applique). I'm picturing a cream background center piece with just a single border around the edge. I'd probably like to have the tree part appliqued on already. And maybe some of the leaves if I get a few ahead of time.

So does that mean I should have the top, batting, and backing together. And the tree (and maybe a few leaves) appliqued through all layers. Then maybe the whole thing basted together?

Lastly, I need to write instructions to send with the leaves. Should I send with freezer paper on the back? Or put the fusible web on it already? And what about the markers. Would it be ok to have them use a Sharpie? I can't really ask them to buy fabric marker just for the signature and I don't think it is realistic to send one with the leaf? I don't think the quilt will be washed because it will just be a wall hanging.

Any other tips? Any pattern ideas I can use? Otherwise I am just going to free hand a design.

Thanks in advance. I've made several quilts before but wouldn't call myself an expert. I would say I'm in the learning stages!

Maggie
Old 02-02-2016, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Applique is done on just the quilt top before anything else. I would have the tree trunk and branches appliquéd to the background to show where their leaves will go. I would draw my leaf shape on the paper back (with a pencil) on the fusible and fuse it leaf fabric. I would rough cut the leaf shape leaving extra around so the shape edges don't fray from handling. As for signing the pieces, you will need to try different pens to see what works best.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:23 AM

Thank you. I'm glad to know you just applique on the quilt top. So I will plan on not having to get the quilt done for the event! Less pressure for me.

Any other tips to help out a young quilter?

Maggie
Old 02-05-2016, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

If you are doing fusible applique you can use sharpie pens for the signature. The process of fusing the leaves will also set the sharpie. Tartan is correct about the applique being done on the top before the quilt is sandwiched and quilted. As far as quilting applique, that is a matter of personal preference but traditionally applique is outlined with minimal, if any quilting done on the applique itself unless it is very large.

Here is a link to a google search I did that would show you examples of how much quilting can be done, or not done, on applique.

https://www.google.com/search?q=quil...jQDSkQ_AUIBygC

Myself, I always ditch applique and I usually quilt vein lines on a leaf.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:41 AM

Applique is generally done before sandwiching, but not always. It's easiest to do it before layering, but there are some people who applique & quilt all in one step. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t195933.html

I would definitely not send any instructions other than to sign. People's irons will be different & a lot of people will try to cut things out with dull paper scissors. We tried having quilters who knew nothing about applique in our guild try to follow basic instructions and ended up with melted & burned applique pieces & some pieces that were too small. Also, realize that some people will lose their leaves so you'll need extras on hand. Sharpies will work fine. If you care about color, be sure to tell people or you will get people that try to sign in pink and gold or a different color for every letter of their name. And you want to let them know to sign in the middle so their name doesn't get lost in the stitching/turned edge.

I wouldn't attach anything to the fabric before mailing because it will end up peeling off and/or people will peel it off not realizing its purpose. You can run a dry iron over the signed fabric no problem. For the quilting, I'd just quilt around the edges for the signed leaves. If you want to add blank leaves, you could add quilted veins inside those.