View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Most of us do not use a bias tape maker for binding. The "double fold" technique is more common. Basically this is a long strip of fabric folded in half. Either (1) sew the two raw edges to the raw edge of the quilt, working from the front of the quilt, turn the binding to the back, and hand sew the binding to the back of the quilt. Or (2) sew the two raw edges to the raw edge of the quilt, working from the back of the quilt, turn the binding to the front, and machine stitch the binding to the front. This gives the edge 2 layers of fabric. Since the binding gets the most wear on a quilt, having the doubled layers helps the quilt last longer before the binding needs to be replaced. Bias tape makers do not give you that double layer of fabric. Another way to make bindings last longer is to use bias binding (strips cut on the bias). This is because of the way the threads on the edge lay. However, bias bindings are trickier to apply. Most quilters opt for straight-of-grain binding on straight-edged quilts.

There are lots of Youtube videos that show how to bind a quilt. Here are some:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ing+to+a+quilt

Incidentally, most quilters press the binding in half before applying. This may still be the best way for a beginning quilter to apply binding. It's the way I did it for many years. However, I finally got up the nerve to test some advice from experienced quilters and did not press the binding before applying; I just hand-folded it as I went. This actually works better for me as it allows the two layers to roll over the edge at different rates, so the fold falls exactly where it needs to. (Think of a curved race track. The inner lane is shorter than the outer lane.)

Another tip. I like to apply *tiny* dots of Elmer's white washable glue when I fold over the binding to the second side. I do this at the ironing board and immediately iron the binding to dry the glue. This works better than pins for me in terms of keeping the binding in place while I sew (especially for machine sewing, although it works for hand sewing too).