Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding and bias tape maker >

Binding and bias tape maker

Binding and bias tape maker

Old 02-09-2016, 08:51 PM

Default Binding and bias tape maker

Hi. I have two quilts completed up to the binding part. A large lap quilt and a full size quilt. I have been searching ideas on how to get started on binding. Can anyone suggest a tutorial that is a good one for beginners. I have a craftsy tutorial for Machine Quilting by Wendy Butler Burns that seems pretty good. I have seen a suggestion of just folding the backing to the front and sewing if it's bigger all the way around. And I was given a bias tape maker. Is the bias tape maker the way to go? Just looking for advice on getting started. Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:23 PM
Gay

hi jams, welcome to the board. I normally cut strips 2 1/2" wide, and join on the angle, to make long enough to go all the way around the quilt, plus a couple extra inches for each of the corners. Then I either stitch to the front or back - depending on whether I'll sew the other side by hand or machine - then fold to the other side and stitch down.

As for the tape maker - it depends on the size tape it produces, and if you end up with a flat tape (good for appliqued stems and celtic designs) or folded in half, as well as the edges folded in. I have a 1/4" one that I can place over the edge of the quilt, and stitch both sides at once, but I couldn't recommend it as I have too much difficulty with going around the corners, more hassle than what it's worth. It's terrific if the corners are rounded, and the quilt is not too thick. It's better for clothing and linen. Also, I do not like having the edges pressed and then sewing to the quilt, as pressing can stretch the fabric if you're not careful.

I prefer the first method, and you can google lots of tutes to show easy ways to do the corners.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:54 AM

Missouri Quilt Company has a great tutorial on binding from start to finish. Check that one out.

Watson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vCWpxBRs20
Old 02-10-2016, 03:52 AM

I've got the Simplicity. I usually put strips through on the grain rather than bias. I can do either a quilting fold in 1/2 or use the attachment that does double fold. I will use double fold for sashing and applique. I've framed rectangular embroidery pieces on a sweatshirt with double fold, and it's stayed put for almost 20 years. I only use bias if I need it.

The bias makers - manual and Simplicity don't care which way you run strips through. Just trim and flatten joins well.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. I didn't really like trying to use a bias maker I had bought. If you are new to quilting, I would suggest that you take the time and sew it to the back by hand. You will see that quilters either cut their strips 2.25" or 2.50". When you get confident in your stitching the binding, you can try to do it totally by machine. The reason I say this is because if you don't get it sewn accurately, it is more easier to make adjustments as you hand sew it to the back.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

I use 2 and 1/4 inch double fold straight of grain bindings on most quilts. I only use bias binding on a quilt edge with craves or scallops.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Most of us do not use a bias tape maker for binding. The "double fold" technique is more common. Basically this is a long strip of fabric folded in half. Either (1) sew the two raw edges to the raw edge of the quilt, working from the front of the quilt, turn the binding to the back, and hand sew the binding to the back of the quilt. Or (2) sew the two raw edges to the raw edge of the quilt, working from the back of the quilt, turn the binding to the front, and machine stitch the binding to the front. This gives the edge 2 layers of fabric. Since the binding gets the most wear on a quilt, having the doubled layers helps the quilt last longer before the binding needs to be replaced. Bias tape makers do not give you that double layer of fabric. Another way to make bindings last longer is to use bias binding (strips cut on the bias). This is because of the way the threads on the edge lay. However, bias bindings are trickier to apply. Most quilters opt for straight-of-grain binding on straight-edged quilts.

There are lots of Youtube videos that show how to bind a quilt. Here are some:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ing+to+a+quilt

Incidentally, most quilters press the binding in half before applying. This may still be the best way for a beginning quilter to apply binding. It's the way I did it for many years. However, I finally got up the nerve to test some advice from experienced quilters and did not press the binding before applying; I just hand-folded it as I went. This actually works better for me as it allows the two layers to roll over the edge at different rates, so the fold falls exactly where it needs to. (Think of a curved race track. The inner lane is shorter than the outer lane.)

Another tip. I like to apply *tiny* dots of Elmer's white washable glue when I fold over the binding to the second side. I do this at the ironing board and immediately iron the binding to dry the glue. This works better than pins for me in terms of keeping the binding in place while I sew (especially for machine sewing, although it works for hand sewing too).
Old 02-10-2016, 12:21 PM

I rip strips. Easier to use a bias binder with all the strings. I am also not hand sewing anything except buttons. I do know how to hand sew and I hate it.

Better to get a quilt done so you can use it, rather than procrastinate waiting for time to hand sew. I have other things to do while watching (listening) to TV. I don't like all the fabric in my lap.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:28 PM

When I piece the binding, I use diagonal seams and press them open so the finding folds nice and flat.

Instead of a bias tape maker, I put a long pin in my ironing pad - in, tin space then up and then in again about 1 1/2" over. I fold the tip of the fabric in half and pull it through the long space of the pin, ironing as I go. It is (for me) faster than the bias tape maker and I can press the whole strip.