View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 08:59 PM
lov2stitch

Originally Posted by ckcowl
when you go to pottery barn or jc pennys and buy a quilt is there a tag on it? WELL OF COURSE THERE IS! if you make a quilt (or any item) you should ALWAYS put a label of some sort on it...your name, city, state...special washing/care instructions, the date or at least the year...it doesn't matter if you are selling it, giving it, donating it, or keeping it...DOCUMENT YOUR WORK...YOU CARED ENOUGH TO MAKE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE...TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS!!!
Please document your quilts---quilts become a piece of history. They are our heritage. I have three antique quilts that came through my husband's family--We are pretty sure they were made by his great aunt or great grandmother. All I can do is make a label and list the estate they came from and who we think made them and the date of their birth and death...to give an idea of the period of time they may have been made and the location. This will at least be a little bit of history for our daughter and grandson. The quilts will at least have a tie to the family that made them. This really opened my eyes to how important it is to document my work for future generations!!!!