Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you sign a quilt that you sell

If you sell a quilt do you put your name on it????

thanks

Nope... I have thought about it but I haven't done it yet. Always sign the gifts and tag the keepers too, just to keep track of what year I did them.

Should I sign the sold quilts? Gee that's a tough one.

I think I would put my name, date and name of the quilt if it were me.

Blog Entries
    I wonder how that would go over with some buyers?
    I bet there are as many who would love it as who would dislike it... Maybe ask them first?

Famous designers put their names on their clothes, I think it's only reasonable that a quilter sign her/his work.

I think it is no different from an artist signing their name on a painting they are selling. I would think it should be small, but definitely included.

I think I would put my name on it. That is a way to get your name on your product, since that is what it is.

Thanks was just wondering!! what do you put on quilts you keep

I usually put my name and year, just in case I become famous one day. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
    I usually put my name and year, just in case I become famous one day. :lol:
    You never know right lol! You can always dream!

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I wonder how that would go over with some buyers?
    I bet there are as many who would love it as who would dislike it... Maybe ask them first?
    good idea.

If you dont sign your quilts.....and were to become famous one day.....the ones who bought your quilts sure would be disappointed/

Just like if someone give you a painting....and then became famous....your painting would be worth less because it wasnt signed

LOL this is just food for thought,,

I put my name and date made on them. If it's for a special occasion I'll include that if asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dora Taggart
    If you dont sign your quilts.....and were to become famous one day.....the ones who bought your quilts sure would be disappointed/

Just like if someone give you a painting....and then became famous....your painting would be worth less because it wasnt signed

LOL this is just food for thought,,
    Good Point!

If I know the buyer I ask if they want my name on the quilt. If I am selling at a show or like I did in the past, at a local cafe, I prepared lables with printable fabric (the one with the glue on the back) with my name and year and iron them to the back of the wallhanging. If they don't want it they can peel it off. I always pin to the back of the quilt my bussiness card in case the buyer is interested on another one. I have had some calls from people keeping the card.

I do. I hand sew the label. If they don't want it on there they can remove it.

Besides, how many of use have old quilts that AREN'T signed and wish they were?

The few that I've sold have been to people that I know and I've always put a tag on with my name and date very small in the corner and then I ask the buyer if they would like me to write a message or the recipients name on the tag. I've asked them to write it theirselves, but they decline thinking they will mess it up.

When I first started quilting I wanted to keep a count of the quilts I had made. I started signing and numbering my quilts. When I started selling, that helped with my inventory records. I sign them with my full first and last name, town and state, and then the quilt number.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, I'm buying Barnbum's Watercolor Floral Log Cabin Quilt, and I asked her to make a label for me.

I don't know if I would "sign it" literally, but I would probably make a small discrete label that said my name and the year, and hand-sew it on, rather than fuse it or anything. That way whoever bought the quilt could remove it if they wanted to, or use it to refer other buyers to me!!

Blog Entries
    i do it all. but mine are all gifted.
    i do a printed label, then hand sew it on. i always do the following, because mine go all over the u.s.

name of quilt
    person receiving quilt
    my name
    town, state
    mo, yr

Quote Originally Posted by craftinggrandma
    If you sell a quilt do you put your name on it????

thanks
    Maybe I'm crazy (some would agree!) but this question and some of the answers really floor me; I'd never heard of not labeling a quilt but, then again, I don't sell mine.

Why wouldn't you sign your name? Quilts are a work of art. A label is a quilt's bona fide's (sp?), what documents such things as when & where it was made, the pattern, the quilter, etc. IMHO, a label (including signature) adds immeasurable value to a quilt.

Blog Entries
    when you go to pottery barn or jc pennys and buy a quilt is there a tag on it? WELL OF COURSE THERE IS! if you make a quilt (or any item) you should ALWAYS put a label of some sort on it...your name, city, state...special washing/care instructions, the date or at least the year...it doesn't matter if you are selling it, giving it, donating it, or keeping it...DOCUMENT YOUR WORK...YOU CARED ENOUGH TO MAKE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE...TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS!!!

Hi,
    Yes I do sign the label... A local artist once said that a quilt is a work of art just as a painting is. It should be signed and dated, so I take care of that by making it part of the label - and you know that all quilts need a label stating date, pattern source - or stating that the pattern is an original design, and creator.
    Quilters need to give themselves credit for the beautiful work of art that all quilts are....
    Sue

Amen!

I have never sold a quilt. When I give one as a gift, I machine embroidery my name & the date. I put it on the back corner & use a thread almost the same color as the back. It doesn't stand out, but if a quilt lover in the future were looking, they'd see it.
    Maxine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast