Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you sign a quilt that you sell >

Do you sign a quilt that you sell

Do you sign a quilt that you sell

Old 01-21-2010, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by craftinggrandma
If you sell a quilt do you put your name on it????

thanks
Maybe I'm crazy (some would agree!) but this question and some of the answers really floor me; I'd never heard of not labeling a quilt but, then again, I don't sell mine.

Why wouldn't you sign your name? Quilts are a work of art. A label is a quilt's bona fide's (sp?), what documents such things as when & where it was made, the pattern, the quilter, etc. IMHO, a label (including signature) adds immeasurable value to a quilt.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

when you go to pottery barn or jc pennys and buy a quilt is there a tag on it? WELL OF COURSE THERE IS! if you make a quilt (or any item) you should ALWAYS put a label of some sort on it...your name, city, state...special washing/care instructions, the date or at least the year...it doesn't matter if you are selling it, giving it, donating it, or keeping it...DOCUMENT YOUR WORK...YOU CARED ENOUGH TO MAKE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE...TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS!!!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:15 AM

Hi,
Yes I do sign the label... A local artist once said that a quilt is a work of art just as a painting is. It should be signed and dated, so I take care of that by making it part of the label - and you know that all quilts need a label stating date, pattern source - or stating that the pattern is an original design, and creator.
Quilters need to give themselves credit for the beautiful work of art that all quilts are....
Sue
Old 01-21-2010, 05:17 AM

Amen!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 AM

I have never sold a quilt. When I give one as a gift, I machine embroidery my name & the date. I put it on the back corner & use a thread almost the same color as the back. It doesn't stand out, but if a quilt lover in the future were looking, they'd see it.
Maxine
Old 01-21-2010, 06:25 AM

you should always always sign and date your quilt if you sell it or give it away.its a part of history and in 100 years from now someone is going to wish they knew who made this quilt, why ,who is was for.all the well known famous quilters today will tell you the same thing,I sold a quilt for 300.00 dollars this past christmas,a gift for a gemtlemans granddaughter and you can bet I signed it.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:29 AM

When I do a custom quilt for a customer, I include "Designed and quilted by ....." and have never had any negative comments. I use whatever date the customer wants to use. I always ask what they want on the quilt label....they seem to like being involved in the decision. My other quilts or anything I sell, I include my logo that I created. I make quilted items other than just quilts.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:39 AM

I always embroider my name and year it was quilted on the bottom right hand of the right side of the wallhanging etc. I make a label on the back with the name of the wallhanging. I also have a file where I write all about my quilts/wallhangings. I state who I gave it to, what the occasion was, which fabrics I used and why etc etc. I have never sold any of my handwork. My handwork has always been as a gift.

I would definetely sign my name and the year if I sold anything. It is your legacy and something you should be proud of... have a great day.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:55 AM

I would definitely put my name, date and pattern. We know how important the history of old quilts are today. Someday ours will also be antique and many people will want to have some history, for dating.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:48 AM

I put my name on everything. I'll do the signature block with name o' quilt, "quilt top and quilted by" me, date, and who it's made for (that one I would ask about).

My grandmother used to make bears and she handed out tons of those things. Since she passed on, I've found 3 bears that "might" have been made by her in thrift stores. 1 we're about 99% sure came from her. 2 are more of a toss up, but they came home with me anyway. If she had written her name on them somewhere, it would be really easy to tell. I want my quilts to be identifiable if in 100 years my great-grandkids find one in a thrift store, I want them to know to bring it home.