Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you sign a quilt that you sell >

Do you sign a quilt that you sell

Do you sign a quilt that you sell

Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 PM

I have never sold one just gave them as gifts and always label. In the past few years I have started buying quilts at estate auctions and put a label on it with the date of the auction, town and anything else that I can find about the sale from the newspaper article. This past year I won a quilt from a raffle at a restaurant in Lancaster Pa. It was sewn and hand quilted by the local ladies from the Lions Club. I will make a small label as to the date I won it, from where and who made it.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 PM

I read somewhere where peopel made a label and attached it to the inside of the quilt if someone didn't wan tit on the outside. That way, in years down the road, there was still documentation for that quilt but it was inconspicuous. You could probably stitch it between borders to the seam allowance so the stitches don't show but it isn't showing through either.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:09 PM

I do not wear bill board shirts, If it was a tiny tag with a logo ok, otherwise I would remove it. I think this would apply to anything I buy
Old 01-21-2010, 02:18 PM

I insist. I always tell people that I'll put a label on the back of the quilt that it was made by me and the month/year it was finished and ask if they would like anything additional, like who its to, who its from, etc. No one has complained so far...
Old 01-21-2010, 02:36 PM

Yes, I sign and date my quilt in addition to putting on my quilt label. It proves it is authentic and you made it!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:44 PM

For the hours and hours and hours you put into a quilt, wouldn't you want to have your name on it?

For those of you who don't, why?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:33 PM

I collect small quilts with very intricate star designs on them. I don't do small anything so really appreciate the work that goes into them by the quilter. I always look for a label because I usually get them at auction fundraisers put on by the local quilt guilds and I want to know who did them and when. If you put that much effort and creativity and time into a project, you need to take credit for it!!

I embroider my name and the year I completed the quilt on one of the bottom corners, usually on the back of the quilt.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:05 PM

I think you should sign them they are art. just a small label with your name & date hand stitched on the back, if that is offensive to the owner it is easy to remove
Old 01-22-2010, 01:47 PM

When I make a label I keep it with the theme of the quilt. Like if I had Ohio Stars, I'd make a small ohio star with all the info on it.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
when you go to pottery barn or jc pennys and buy a quilt is there a tag on it? WELL OF COURSE THERE IS! if you make a quilt (or any item) you should ALWAYS put a label of some sort on it...your name, city, state...special washing/care instructions, the date or at least the year...it doesn't matter if you are selling it, giving it, donating it, or keeping it...DOCUMENT YOUR WORK...YOU CARED ENOUGH TO MAKE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE...TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS!!!
Please document your quilts---quilts become a piece of history. They are our heritage. I have three antique quilts that came through my husband's family--We are pretty sure they were made by his great aunt or great grandmother. All I can do is make a label and list the estate they came from and who we think made them and the date of their birth and death...to give an idea of the period of time they may have been made and the location. This will at least be a little bit of history for our daughter and grandson. The quilts will at least have a tie to the family that made them. This really opened my eyes to how important it is to document my work for future generations!!!!