View Single Post
Old 02-13-2016, 06:35 AM
EmiliasNana

Like Feline, I consider an heirloom something meaningful or sentimental enough to be passed on to the next generation and hopefully the next and next. As of now I have only made one quilt and a Christening dress that I consider heirlooms. The quilt is here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...h-t155965.html
It is basically a looking glass into the life of my mother-in-law who passed away in 2011. After covering her casket, it hangs in our office along with other family memorabilia. The dress was for our first grand child, and in hopes of it being an heirloom, I embroidered her name (and the name of her brother several years later) in white on the slip. Here is a picture of that dress: The yoke is smocked with shadow embroidery, and the skirt is pin tucked and has matching slip, diaper cover and bonnet. However, it is up to my DIL whether SHE considers it an heirloom to be passed on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]542577[/ATTACH]
The rest of the quilts or baby items are for everyday use. That doesn't mean they won't end up as heirlooms, if the recipient deems them as such. IMHO we can hope to create heirlooms, but it is really the next generations that determine their worthiness, isn't it?
Attached Thumbnails 2009may24emiliachristening0058.jpg