View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Tothill

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I wasn't looking for my families history, I was wondering in general.
very interesting facts some of you have relayed to me. I thank you all for your families histories.
Luv quilts and cats, very interesting about the hull of the ship. I doubt people would go through
these hard times now adays. THey were promised streets paved with gold, and got a lot of rocks.
It was interesting to hear from some of you that the 'cruise' only took about 3 weeks. And we
think our mail is slow nowadays. Thank you all for relaying your stories.
I think the Refugees from Syria who have been bombed out of their homes and are often walking hundreds of miles with very few possessions could relate. Especially those who are getting into dodgy boats to cross the Mediterranean with the few possessions they can carry.

I find the movement of people around the world to be fascinating, but often heartbreaking. Since the late 70's there have been the Vietnamese Boat People, European refugees from Serbia and Kosovo, Rwandan refugees fleeing genocide, while the world looked on, and now millions of people in Syria being displaced by war.

My cousin's family is Japanese and they were forced from their home during WW11 in Canada. Forcibly moved hundreds of miles away.

For the most part my family has been lucky, they have moved around the world by choice, not due to war, genocide or economic necessity.