Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: immigration question

Blog Entries

immigration question

someone showed pictures of immigrants coming to America.

Does anyone know what the accommodations were on the ships and how long it took to get here from Europe.I know different ports were different times, but in general. I'm curious as to what they did on the ship all day, and what meals were like and sleeping accommodations. Does anyone know approximate prices of tickets were back then. My grandparents came from Poland in the early 1900's.
    thanks for any information anyone has.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Lynnie,

You could start by asking that question on the internet. I am sure there is plenty of info on that there. They will have lots of links to take you further than you ever thought of doing.

Yes, The internet is a very interesting place. Explore. Why wait for someone to do it for you?

Blog Entries
    an idea on how to go about it? Where do I ask a question like that? Not to familiar with search engines like that.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    You may be able to check in Ellis Island and find out what ship they came over on.
    Boom 12 - Short & Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    someone showed pictures of immigrants coming to America.

Does anyone know what the accommodations were on the ships and how long it took to get here from Europe.I know different ports were different times, but in general. I'm curious as to what they did on the ship all day, and what meals were like and sleeping accommodations. Does anyone know approximate prices of tickets were back then. My grandparents came from Poland in the early 1900's.
    thanks for any information anyone has.
    This should get you started:

http://www.ohranger.com/ellis-island...ration-journey
    http://www.gjenvick.com/Steerage/191...#axzz40IyfLqcx
    http://sydaby.eget.net/swe/journey.htm

Blog Entries
    Usually I go on google, or whatever search engine you prefer, and just start by typing in your question, and see what comes up. Even on pinterest where you said you go a lot.

My husband does a lot of geneology, and he first just started searching the word then since that time, he has all kinds of info going far back into both of our families.

Ellis Island is a good place to research also.

If you go on the Ellis Island web site for a minimal fee they can even tell you what your ancestors had with them for their belongings, including what they packed in their suitcase.

I wish I had asked those questions when my older relatives were still around. We talked about the "old folks" a lot so I have a lot of family info. One thing this questions brought back was what my great grandmother told.... She said on the ship coming over they went three days ahead and two days back with all the storms they encountered. A lot of the passengers were sick all the way over. Gee, sounds like a great trip!! But I am sure glad they made the journey.
    Good luck on your searching. Makes me think of doing the same thing...hum!!

You could try going to one of the geneology sites like Ancestry.com or myheritage.com and put in you grandparents names. I know ancestry.com has links to ships records and that should show which ship they were on.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

My paternal grandparents had both of their paternal grandfather come over from England in the 1850s to settle in Kansas. I am certain they were crammed in 3rd class steerage as shown in many Titanic movies. Plus going thru Ellis island inspection stations. They were very brave to make the voyage.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Oh WOW, just put in my last name, nothing else and got a whole list of people!! http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger-result
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Immigration - I am my family's genealogist since the 1970's. I have ancestors from Norway, Germany and my husband's are from Poland. I could send you at least two stories of their experiences thru letters they wrote back to relatives or that someone in the family wrote in local history books. If you have a source to send that info to you I would gladly share. Internet would be a great resource. Karen Joseph, Williamsburg, Iowa

Lynnie, what interesting questions. I just imagine the scenes from Titanic and wonder how bad the conditions were for the "regular, non-rich folks". I love to read for pleasure. You've inspired me to start reading some books about that subject........I'm sure I will discover many stories of heroic, brave and selfless people. Thanks for the question. Nora

I am researching a quilt history book and I find that reading old diaries tells you alot. I go to university libraries that are old, such as state land grant universities for most of my materials. They also have special collections within the larger collection of rare books. There is no problem getting access to them as they are public schools. Each one I have gone to has specific rules and you just need to ask them how to access the books. It really is an eye opener to what people whet through and what they considered "normal".

You might want to try Ancestry.com. They have people who will answer any questions you may have. good luck to you!

Blog Entries
    My husband uses Ancestry.com and others for his research. There is a lot of good info out there.

My great-aunt wrote it all down. She told how bad the trip was for herself, her parents, her 7 year old brother (my grandfather) and their little brother, age 1 1/2. Most of them were sick most of the time but they did get fed. They brought along the cage with the passenger pigeon. After they landed they had to take a train to Milwaukee Wisconsin. She said the ship was like a hotel compared to that train ride. Dirty, cold steel seats with no food or water.
    When they got to Wisconsin, they found some land, but did not have the clothes necessary for the cold weather here. And the cabin was cold and drafty. These were hearty people. Most of their family lived to be more than ninety years old.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Seems all sites lead back to ancestry.com and to really find info it will cost you.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
    You could try going to one of the geneology sites like Ancestry.com or myheritage.com and put in you grandparents names. I know ancestry.com has links to ships records and that should show which ship they were on.
    You have to be a member of Ancestry to access their information.

Don't have any information about searching, but just wanted to say that my husband's grandparents, one set from Lithuania and one from Poland, came to America in about that same time frame.

Ancestry does have free weekends quite often. I tried a weekend & got 1-2 wks free trial. Unfortunately, I didn't know many details so couldn't check very far. I did find the draft papers for both grandfathers.

Blog Entries
    My grandfather (Ole)had two brothers, Otto and John. When they landed at Ellis Island from Sweden, their last name was Olsson. The clerk at the desk said there were too many Olssons on the ship and to pick out a different name, which they did; the name being a name of a very respected gentleman in Varmland, Sweden. I cannot trace anyone we are related to except for those belonging to Otto and John in the whole United States. I love the story. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Many came through BEFORE Ellis Island was the gateway. Most who came from What we now call Poland changed their spelling of their name. Those from "Poland" , Like my great grandparents Were not living in a "State" called Poland. Poland had been Overtaken by the Russians, Germany and others due to their rebellionious ways. Poland was not reinstated as a "State" until the late 1890s and early 1900s. Getting accurate name spelling is a must. Names are NOT spelled like they sound. Case in point Zo-loft-ski is spelled Zulawski. Good luck. Blessed be.

Quote Originally Posted by Maralyn View Post
    Don't have any information about searching, but just wanted to say that my husband's grandparents, one set from Lithuania and one from Poland, came to America in about that same time frame.
    Both of my grandparents came over from Lithuania and my grandfather's last name was Juracius (or similar, DIL has my notebook) and Ellis Island clerk wrote down Yurashus so that is the name he had to use. They settled in Connecticut. My sister did the research and it has been interesting to read.
    Last edited by skaduzy; 02-17-2016 at 06:48 AM.
    Sew many Quilts.......so little time!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast