Old 02-24-2016, 07:55 AM
Tothill

Alva,

I am heading to Sew Expo at Puyallup, about 5 hours and 175 miles away from my home (ferry and border crossings to boot) by myself. A few years ago, I would have felt uncomfortable going alone, but not now.

I do not have any close friends who sew and the odd time I invited one to attend my local sewing or quilting show with me, it was not so fun. They really were not interested in sewing, quilting etc and wanted to leave early.

So I leave tomorrow and will spend 4 nights in hotels and can not tell you how much I am looking forward to it.

I have put the word out here and Pattern Review and plan to meet up with one lady from each site while there.

I tend to be an introvert, but I am friendly, not shy. I will find people to talk to wherever I go. At a quilting show, you know before you step through the door that most people there will share your interests, the ones that do not are the ones that are going with someone to keep them company.

You may be surprised with your small guild. At your next meeting when they do announcements, just say you are wanting to go and ask for suggestions on making the best of the show. If you do not say you are interested, the other members will not know and will not invite you along.

Last year I attended a 'Women's Show' with a friend. It was the event that made me decide that I will attend shows by myself, so I get the most out of it for me. Her way of attending the show, interacting with the vendors was completely different from mine. She would not agree to go our own way and meet up at a designated time and place. I finally just walked away. Now I am sure she was not impressed with my way of attending a Show too, it was a complete mismatch.

Go by yourself, you maybe surprised how much you enjoy being on your own.