View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 02:27 PM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mtnmama
When I first started quilting, there were a lot of things to buy, cutting mat, rotary cutter, rulers, markers etc. I thought to save money, why would I spend big bucks at the quilt store on fabric when I could go to Jo-Ann's and get it for a lot less. Well, that first irish chain quilt that I hand made, hand quilted and is still hanging on my bedroom wall is about three shades lighter blue, it has faded so much and it is not in direct sunlight. So, there is a big difference in the quality of the fabric. You live and learn.
YES YES YES. I could have written this. I too didn't really know any better when I first started quilting. I made two bedsize quilts, hand quilted them. Spent years, yes years, working on them. Both have faded terribly. One bled even though I prewashed all the fabric. I also bought polyester batting not knowing any better. I have learned if I am going to invest that kind of time and effort into my quilts, which I consider works of art and future heirlooms, I will not skimp on the quality of materials that go into them ever again. I will not buy Jo Ann fabric or Walmart unless it is a quicky utility quilt. That said, we do buy what we can afford. But remember you get what you pay for. If you just practicing or making quicky utility quilts (not meant derogatory) or quilts for charity that kids will beat the heck out of by all means you can go with less expensive fabric. Deals can be had for quality fabric as well. I was just in Jo Ann's the other day taking advantage of their W&N batting sale and saw fabrics in there priced at LQS prices but most definitely NOT LQS quality. I have often taken advantage of my LQS sales and gotten great fabric for 3 or 4 dollars per yard. Many on line places sell quality fabric at savings as well. My advice for what it's worth, is buy the absolute BEST you can afford. Don't get walmart $1 per yard just cause you perceive it as a good deal. Remember you are investing hours and hours of your time to make a beautiful quilt. How frustrating after all that time and effort to have it fall apart of fade to the point that it isn't even what you created any more. Just my .02