Old 03-01-2016, 10:51 AM
elnan

Originally Posted by Mitty View Post
I'm looking at Janome sewing machines on their website, and some say they have "push-pull" bobbin winding and others have "auto-declutch" bobbing winding. I don't see an explanation on the Janome website, and google has not helped. Does anyone know what those terms mean, and is one better in some way?
Having more than a few sewing machines, and also sewing with machines from different 4-H offices, sometimes it takes a while to figure out how to wind a bobbin, or how to get the machine to start sewing after winding a bobbin. On the older or vintage machines, you have to hold the balance wheel with the left hand while giving a partial turn to the inner knob of the wheel. This is sometimes referred to as the clutch. Loosening the inner knob is supposed to stop the needle from moving. After filling the bobbin, tighten the inner knob while holding the outter wheel with your left hand and resume sewing.

Some of the machines, such as a Janome Gem Gold, you pull outward on the inner knob of the balance wheel. Forgetting or not knowing to push the knob back in can cause panic when you have a child sitting at the machine and several more students lined up behind you with their project in hand.

On some machines with the bobbin winder on top, just pushing the gizmo that holds the bobbin on the post will dis-engage the clutch, thus stopping the needle movement. Clicking the gizmo back in place enables the machine to start stitching again. I'm not digging through a manual to get the name of gizmo, but I'll bet you understand.