Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin Winding - push-pull vs auto-declutch >

Bobbin Winding - push-pull vs auto-declutch

Bobbin Winding - push-pull vs auto-declutch

Old 03-01-2016, 09:27 AM

Default Bobbin Winding - push-pull vs auto-declutch

I'm looking at Janome sewing machines on their website, and some say they have "push-pull" bobbin winding and others have "auto-declutch" bobbing winding. I don't see an explanation on the Janome website, and google has not helped. Does anyone know what those terms mean, and is one better in some way?
Old 03-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Never heard either of the terms either.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:15 AM

I looked it up on the Janome website and it says auto-declutch is: Automatic de-clutch bobbin winder – which means the machine automatically stops the needle from going up and down when you are winding thread onto the bobbin.
I found this description for push-pull on another site: When you put the bobbin on the post to wind it, you must push the bobbin to the right then press the foot control pedal for the thread to wind on the bobbin. Once it is done, push the bobbin to the left. I'm not sure, but I assume you don't have to push the bobbin to the right in auto-declutch.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:40 AM

Thank you so much. Even now knowing it's there somewhere, I STILL can't find that on the Janome site. If you still have it handy and want to post it, that might help me figure out how I missed it.

And now that I know what the terms means, I can't see that it makes much difference which type a machine has. I suppose if the needle stops going up and down maybe there's a little less wear and tear?
Old 03-01-2016, 10:44 AM

The bobbin winds really quickly. You don't want your machine having to keep up with that. Always use the de-clutch.

Watson
Old 03-01-2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mitty View Post
I'm looking at Janome sewing machines on their website, and some say they have "push-pull" bobbin winding and others have "auto-declutch" bobbing winding. I don't see an explanation on the Janome website, and google has not helped. Does anyone know what those terms mean, and is one better in some way?
Having more than a few sewing machines, and also sewing with machines from different 4-H offices, sometimes it takes a while to figure out how to wind a bobbin, or how to get the machine to start sewing after winding a bobbin. On the older or vintage machines, you have to hold the balance wheel with the left hand while giving a partial turn to the inner knob of the wheel. This is sometimes referred to as the clutch. Loosening the inner knob is supposed to stop the needle from moving. After filling the bobbin, tighten the inner knob while holding the outter wheel with your left hand and resume sewing.

Some of the machines, such as a Janome Gem Gold, you pull outward on the inner knob of the balance wheel. Forgetting or not knowing to push the knob back in can cause panic when you have a child sitting at the machine and several more students lined up behind you with their project in hand.

On some machines with the bobbin winder on top, just pushing the gizmo that holds the bobbin on the post will dis-engage the clutch, thus stopping the needle movement. Clicking the gizmo back in place enables the machine to start stitching again. I'm not digging through a manual to get the name of gizmo, but I'll bet you understand.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
Having more than a few sewing machines, and also sewing with machines from different
Some of the machines, such as a Janome Gem Gold, you pull outward on the inner knob of the balance wheel. Forgetting or not knowing to push the knob back in can cause panic when you have a child sitting at the machine and several more students lined up behind you with their project in hand.
On the website it says that the Janome Gem Gold 660 uses the auto-declutch. Your description doesn't sound very "auto" - hahaha. Either the feature is poorly named or maybe they've changed the Jems over time and it used to be manual and is now auto?? Good to know how it works either way. I haven't seen a machine like that, and I don't want to be one of the people in a panic when the needle starts going wild.

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
On some machines with the bobbin winder on top, just pushing the gizmo that holds the bobbin on the post will dis-engage the clutch, thus stopping the needle movement. Clicking the gizmo back in place enables the machine to start stitching again. I'm not digging through a manual to get the name of gizmo, but I'll bet you understand.
I think this is what Janome is calling push-pull, based on what Sue said above about push-pull.

And thanks for the description of the clutch. It makes sense (now that I know), that the clutch disengages something, just like the clutch of a car.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
The bobbin winds really quickly. You don't want your machine having to keep up with that. Always use the de-clutch.

Watson
Thanks. My current machine has the winder on top and disengages when it's moved to the right, so it hasn't been an issue, but now I'll know to look for this so that I don't destroy someone else's machine (which is one of my big goals when sewing).