Old 03-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Mitty

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
Having more than a few sewing machines, and also sewing with machines from different
Some of the machines, such as a Janome Gem Gold, you pull outward on the inner knob of the balance wheel. Forgetting or not knowing to push the knob back in can cause panic when you have a child sitting at the machine and several more students lined up behind you with their project in hand.
On the website it says that the Janome Gem Gold 660 uses the auto-declutch. Your description doesn't sound very "auto" - hahaha. Either the feature is poorly named or maybe they've changed the Jems over time and it used to be manual and is now auto?? Good to know how it works either way. I haven't seen a machine like that, and I don't want to be one of the people in a panic when the needle starts going wild.

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
On some machines with the bobbin winder on top, just pushing the gizmo that holds the bobbin on the post will dis-engage the clutch, thus stopping the needle movement. Clicking the gizmo back in place enables the machine to start stitching again. I'm not digging through a manual to get the name of gizmo, but I'll bet you understand.
I think this is what Janome is calling push-pull, based on what Sue said above about push-pull.

And thanks for the description of the clutch. It makes sense (now that I know), that the clutch disengages something, just like the clutch of a car.