View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Bree123

1) Take lots of photos & get an AQS appraisal.
2) Sign up for package tracking. Insurers rarely pay out unless they know where the package was lost/stolen.
3) Buy at least enough shipping insurance to cover my homeowner's deductible. UPS rate is $0.90/$100.
4) Check homeowner's policy to see what's covered.*

*I have a home & home business policy that covers my quilts up to $10K without a Fine Arts Rider. It also covers up to a set amount of damage/loss from shipping. You will want to check that (a) it's covered at your home, (b) it's covered both domestically & internationally in transit [shipping & customs], and (c) whether it covers the full replacement value of the quilt.

With Declared Value insurance, your best bet is to have them pack the quilt. Otherwise, unless damage to the box is noted when delivery is accepted, they are not liable for any damages. This option does cost more so you will have to weigh out the risk vs. benefit. My grandmother found in addition to the added insurance coverage, fewer items were lost or damaged when she paid for this service. Here's the link to UPS's Pack & Ship Artwork service: https://www.theupsstore.com/pack-shi...ch_phr=artwork

By the way, stunning quilt! Reminds me of my favorite quilt artist, Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry.