Thread: Eq 7
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2016, 05:22 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Yes you can. EQ CS told me it was fine to share it with my sister. It doesn't matter what two computers it is on.
Wow, I am amazed at that because the way copyright laws work and the software industry in general it is illegal to share software in the way you describe. Multiple license software is intended for people with multiple computers or businesses where they will be running the s/w on multiple machines. Technically one customer but many users. This is why many software products have code written right into the software that ties it to only one computer and if that computer dies, you better have kept all your paperwork to get the s/w developer to issue another key for the s/w to work on another computer. I worked for years for a software developer and had it drilled into me over and over how loading a software program onto more machines than it is licensed for is illegal.

I do know EQ7 allows you to load the s/w on up to five machines but always thought that was a courtesy because many people wanted it on their desktop and their laptop or upgraded their machines or even to sell the software if they found they didn't like it and a new key would be available to the new purchaser. The intention was one user with multiple machines, not to share the software with friends and family until all allowable licenses are used up. I am very shocked EQ condones that. It is very generous of them and definitely outside the box of how most s/w development companies work.