View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 10:15 AM
mhollifiel

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
As I see it, you have two options. You can applique over the deseintegrated pieces or apply wedding tulle to cover the worn places. I have repaired several for friends with the tulle, and you can hardly see the repairs when the quilt is on the bed. Take your choice.
There is a third option.

True Confession Time: My sister has a quilt that our mother gave her to help set up housekeeping. It was relatively new at gifting but none of us know its provenance. She has used this quilt every winter as a blanket underneath her bed's comforter or spread for 48 years. She asked me to repair the two places that needed it. She wanted to keep using it because it was "just right" and Mother gave it to her.

I took the quilt and found not two but thirteen places in need of repair and two or three places that soon would. She had told me that if I couldn't fix it, it was OK but to do what I could. I am not a happy camper with handwork. Since, though there was a sentimental component, this quilt was primarily utilitarian, I went to my sewing machine and repaired/patched away. I did try to make the patches work with the quilt and nothing was slap dash. I did take the liberty of using a Maysie print in some places since that is what her grandkids call her. My sister was thrilled. And the quilt has spent the winter doing it's regular warming job.