Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My childhood quilt >

My childhood quilt

My childhood quilt

Old 03-13-2016, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Okay, this picture totally chokes me up. That is the most precious sight to behold.You've got to make copies of that photo and save that (plus give her one eventually with the explanation of the quilt on the back). For her to be literally wrapped in the quilt made by her great-great grandmother's hands must be an indescribable joy to you. And to be asleep in the same quilt that her grandfather once slept in? How many children can say THAT? I say repair it by making more hexies of similar pattern, but let her use it. I don't know HOW to repair a quilt, but if I could have one wish as a quilter, it would be that my quilts would be used and loved by my great great grandchildren! Not preserved in tissue or on a wall, but repaired so as to keep its integrity as much as possible.
You have spoken my sentiments exactly. Enjoy, and what an awesome gift!
Old 03-13-2016, 06:21 AM

If it's going to be used and treasured ... like the child in the picture is doing ... I'd applique over the worse spots using something very light coloured or faded looking and use the quilt up. Think that's why it was made for you in the first place.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:18 AM

Very pretty quilt and I am so glad it is still providing comfort!
Old 03-13-2016, 07:54 AM

*** Fix it, Love it, Use it.
*** That is what she made it for you for.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:25 AM

As I see it, you have two options. You can applique over the deseintegrated pieces or apply wedding tulle to cover the worn places. I have repaired several for friends with the tulle, and you can hardly see the repairs when the quilt is on the bed. Take your choice.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

What an absolute treasure. My mother quilted, but she made utilitarian quilts, using blankets for batting, and since I was the youngest of 7, none of them survived, although I do have set of pillowcases that she embroidered, which I treasure. Just looking t the picture of the quilt it seems to be in decent shape, so I would just applique over the damaged blocks to maintain the quilt. Your daughter seems to appreciate what the quilt was made for, to cuddle under for wonderful dreams.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
As I see it, you have two options. You can applique over the deseintegrated pieces or apply wedding tulle to cover the worn places. I have repaired several for friends with the tulle, and you can hardly see the repairs when the quilt is on the bed. Take your choice.
There is a third option.

True Confession Time: My sister has a quilt that our mother gave her to help set up housekeeping. It was relatively new at gifting but none of us know its provenance. She has used this quilt every winter as a blanket underneath her bed's comforter or spread for 48 years. She asked me to repair the two places that needed it. She wanted to keep using it because it was "just right" and Mother gave it to her.

I took the quilt and found not two but thirteen places in need of repair and two or three places that soon would. She had told me that if I couldn't fix it, it was OK but to do what I could. I am not a happy camper with handwork. Since, though there was a sentimental component, this quilt was primarily utilitarian, I went to my sewing machine and repaired/patched away. I did try to make the patches work with the quilt and nothing was slap dash. I did take the liberty of using a Maysie print in some places since that is what her grandkids call her. My sister was thrilled. And the quilt has spent the winter doing it's regular warming job.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:06 PM

I think I would applique over the blocks that need repaired and if the baby likes it, your grandmother would be proud to know her work still brings comfort.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:41 AM

Default happy quilts

The quilt looks so HAPPY!!!

When my daughter was little, it became clear we could not keep all her artwork. So, I took a lot of photos with her and the artwork, and eventually threw the artwork away.
I suggest letting it be used, take photos, and have memories that surface whenever the photo is seen.
Attached Thumbnails image22.jpg  
Old 03-14-2016, 10:16 AM

How sweet. Glad you still have the quilt.