Thread: Discard UFOs?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 11:16 PM
annesthreads

Default Discard UFOs?

I'm currently using Marie Kondo's book on decluttering to go right through my house and have a big clear out. Her mantra is that we should only keep things that "spark joy". My job this Easter is to sort out the craft supplies and projects. Every time I think about this, what comes to mind is the three large bags of unfinished quilts that are waiting for me. There are tops that I haven't finished piecing, completed tops and some that are sandwiched for quilting. About 30 all together. When I think about them, they're far from sparking joy - I think their presence, even though I keep them out of sight, is inhibiting my creativity and enjoyment of quilting and other crafts - I feel so guilty about the time and money invested in them and my failure to finish things, but have lost interest in a lot of these - finishing them would be duty rather than pleasure at this stage. I'm seriously thinking that the best way forward might be to get rid of them and have a fresh start. But then I'm back to the time and money... Would welcome any comments or input on this dilemma!
I'm wondering if someone, somewhere might appreciate the challenge of finishing them or be able to repurpose the materials - maybe someone who struggles with the high costs of quilting. I've contacted Linus and have asked someone I know who has a lot of contacts in the UK quilt world. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd be grateful for those too.