Old 03-23-2016, 11:03 PM
colorfulom

My Juki 2010 came with two different hopping feet - one with a slightly heavier closed toe ring. I chose to modify the one with the smaller ring, since it would be easier to cut through. Here's what I did to mine, and I absolutely love it now.

Here you can see both feet. The one that I modified is on the right. You can see that I have stuffed a few pieces of corrugated cardboard in there to hold the spring tension, which keeps the foot floating slightly above the fabric. I had to experiment to find the right amount for me (in my case, it's three layers of cardboard and one piece of folded paper). You can also see where I bent the bar that normally rides on the needle bar and makes the foot hop. I bent it up and out of the way so that the foot does not hop.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]545860[/ATTACH]

From this angle you can see the open toe on the modified foot. The tools I used are shown. I used the pliers to bend the bar and keep the foot from hopping. I used the metal file to file open the toe. The toe is made of pretty sturdy metal, so it took some time to cut through. No strength; just patience. It probably took a good thirty minutes to file it open.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]545862[/ATTACH]

I know that it's scary to modify the foot, but hey, the machine came with two of them, and they're (in my opinion) fairly useless for FMQ before modification, and from my experience, the modified foot works fantastically well. Of course, if you do the modifications, I'm not responsible for your results, but I'm super happy with mine now.
Attached Thumbnails 2016-03-24-01.41.39.jpg   2016-03-24-01.42.11.jpg   2016-03-24-01.43.04.jpg   fmq-foot-modification-1.jpg   fmq-foot-modification-2.jpg  

fmq-foot-modification-3.jpg