Thread: Quilting Minky?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2016, 10:37 PM
Bree123

If you don't use any batting, you don't need to quilt it. Before I took up quilting, I made blankets with minky. There are 2 options I used -- just put some of that satin/sateen bias tape they sell at JAF on the edge & zig-zag it down to enclose the raw edges. Or do the same thing but with 2 layers of minky. When you make it with the 2 layers of minky, you are making a blanket, not a quilt. It is not as strong & will not last as long, but it should definitely last for a couple of years as long as you don't mind occasionally having to reattach the bias tape. The fewer stitches you have, the more stress is put on each individual stitch so if you just have the one row of stitches around the binding, those stitches will carry a lot of weight any time the blanket is dragged, pulled, sat upon, washed, dried, thrown, etc. I personally didn't mind that small amount of mending every 18-24 months, but if that will bother you, I'd recommend spending the time now to quilt it with no more than 2" between your quilting lines.