View Single Post
Old 04-03-2016, 05:31 AM
Mickey2

It's a nice machine. I only know No. 43 in general, not sure what the last digits stand for. Is it a crinkle finish, brown or charcoal sort of color? I googled and apparently it came in various colors and finishes.

Be careful with the finish, it can take a whipe with a microfiber cloth wringed up in mild soapy water. If it's a crinkle finish, be careful what type of polish you use. The resin type named "glaze" or "sealant" is fine, it polishes up nicely and doesn't leave any whitish residue in the crinkles.

The first thing you do is detect all the oil points, clean out bobbin case and feed dog area (lint, threads, etc) unscrew needle plate, take of the face plate, take a look under the base. When you turn the hand wheel, all joints, hinges, gears; moving parts where metal touches metal needs a drop or two of oil. I hope you have the manual, if not look for holes on top (they might need to be unclogged with a tooth pick if it's very dirty after all these years). Move levers up and down, run the machine a bit and repeat oiling. Let it seep in over night. If you use the machine the next few days, a bit of test sewing, running the machine now and then you will likely notice further oil and grime dissolving and comming to the surface. Whipe off best you can and keep giving all these points a drop of oil. It can take a bit of effort to get new fresh oil into the inner most nooks and carannies of gears and hinges, but usually withing the first week or so all old grime is flushed out and replaced with clean fresh oil. If it's fairly clean and well kept it will be easier.

Don't be afraid to play around with it, it's a very sturdy and solidly build machine. Bobbin tyre and pulley rubber often need to be replaced. Just be careful what you use to clean the finsish. Shiny parts can be polished with a good metal polish.

Last edited by Mickey2; 04-03-2016 at 05:33 AM.