View Single Post
Old 04-03-2016, 06:55 AM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
<<snipped>>
Be careful with the finish, it can take a whipe with a microfiber cloth wringed up in mild soapy water. If it's a crinkle finish, be careful what type of polish you use. The resin type named "glaze" or "sealant" is fine, it polishes up nicely and doesn't leave any whitish residue in the crinkles.

The first thing you do is detect all the oil points, clean out bobbin case and feed dog area (lint, threads, etc) unscrew needle plate, take of the face plate,
DO NOT take off the face plate - I don't remember what all is involved but these machines are different and there is something that makes it difficult to get back together. I'm sure it can be done, but if it "ain't broke, don't fix it."

We have both the 41 (similar) and a 43 (later serial number than yours but had a guarantee paper dated 1955). I got a date for a model 11 by calling 800-446-2333. Singerco.com has some manuals for Whites, but for some reason I think they didn't have for the 43. When you call the number for a date, you might ask about a manual as well.

Unfortunately Macybaby's photos aren't there on the 41 thread anymore as she had some issues with Photobucket

As for cleaning the crinkle finish, sewing machine oil will work. John used Windex and had good results. (Test first in non-noticeable spot.) I cleaned a hand crank pinker some years ago, but don't remember exactly what I used to clean, but after getting the grime out (with toothbrush, I used something called "Color Back" I think a 3m or Turtle Wax product. It still looks good.

I think there are some other threads - on Quilting Board - about 43's. There is a good one about loading a bobbin but I can't find it right now. The one John did about the 41 is at http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t264590.html
yobrosew posted a link to a youtube for threading a 43 http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post7182276

I'm not sure about FMQ with this machine. It will piece quite nicely.

It is nice that you have your mom's and are wanting to bring it back to usable condition. Good luck. If I find any additional useful info I will try to get back to you. I just wanted to warn about taking off the face plate.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.