View Single Post
Old 04-03-2016, 09:41 AM
motdaugrnds

It looks nearly black in color.

Thank you both so much. The information (and URL) are appreciated. In fact I watched several videos found there.

I also searched thru my sewing box. Mother had placed all the items from this machine into my sewing box for safe keeping when it was initially stored. In here I found the original owner's manual and two red plastic boxes with the name "White" embedded in them. One box contained a "button holer" and the other box was full of small metal pieces. Ten of these look like a variety of pressure foots, 3 bobbins (one was in the bobbin holder...don't know if this bobbin holder is an extra one or one that was taken out of the machine just prior to storing), and several other small metal pieces shapped funny...Have no idea what these are.

The owner's manual stated the machine should be cleaned with "kerosene (coal oil)", that wiped off and then "machine oil" used. This is a bit disturbing to me because I heat my trailer with kerosene and know it is flammable. What would you clean with? (The videos I watched mentioned an oil on cotton yarn threads, Q-tips and a soft cotton cloth. It did not mention the name of the oil used nor did it mention using kerosene.)

Once I find out for sure what lubricant/cleaner to use, I'm going to see if I can get that machine out of the barn and into my house. It is a bit heavy; so not real sure I can. If not, I'll simply need to work with it out there. I do have electricity in that area; so rigging up some good lighting shouldn't be a problem. I cannot see real well; however, my son has a coin collection and has some various sized magnifying glass he wears on his head. I'm thinking I might be able to use those to successfully see what I'm doing. All this is a bit frightening as I've never had any...no not any...mechanical skills; so wish me luck. (I did find a couple of places in my area that works on sewing machines; however, I've not had time to talk with them as yet; and if I get a "vibe" they really wouldn't know what they were doing with a machine this old, I'ld probably be better off attempting the cleaning myself, which I'll do if I have to.)

Thanks again for helping. I'm glad I found this board.