View Single Post
Old 04-03-2016, 01:16 PM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by motdaugrnds View Post
In here I found the original owner's manual and two red plastic boxes with the name "White" embedded in them. One box contained a "button holer" and the other box was full of small metal pieces. Ten of these look like a variety of pressure foots, 3 bobbins (one was in the bobbin holder...don't know if this bobbin holder is an extra one or one that was taken out of the machine just prior to storing), and several other small metal pieces shapped funny...Have no idea what these are.
Your lucky you have the manual. If it is all there, it should have information about the various feet and what they do and how to use them. If there is something that isn't in the manual, you can post a picture and probably someone can identify and tell you what it is for. There were several items for sewing machines that weren't part of the original set up that could be used on the sewing machine, such as zigzaggers, embroidery attachments, darning attachments, cording feet, some sort of rug-maker fork and hemstitchers.

You don't have to use kerosene, like Mickey2 said, it is "an efficient way to dissolve gummed up oil." It does work if you put it in a small oil type bottle with a spout and just use a drop or two in the oiling spots and then run machine. Then oil again with regular sewing machine oil and run again. Cleaning with sewing machine oil will work. We have good luck with Tri-Flow Oil loosening up gummed oil and also oiling the machine. It is available at sew-classic, bike shops or some hardware stores.

Since this is a "direct drive" machine, they frequently have a flat spot on the rubber from sitting. You might want to check out https://sewwhatman.wordpress.com/201...-drive-wheels/ WHEN you get it going, or maybe do it now, you will want to move the motor and put something between the machine and the motor to prevent the rubber wheel from resting on the hand wheel. I have heard of lots of things to do it with. One person, I read, put a wooden spoon in between the motor and machine so that it would stick out to remind her to remove it before trying to sew with it. That probably wouldn't work when it is resting down in the cabinet. A wooden clothes pin or even a folded potholder would work just to prevent any further damage or if it gets replaced to prevent it from developing a flat spot while not in use.

Wise of you, when you said, "if I get a "vibe" they really wouldn't know what they were doing with a machine this old, I'ld probably be better off attempting the cleaning myself," The OSMG's (Old Sewing Machine Guy/Gal) are getting hard to find. (There are plenty in this and other forums that are willing to help as they have done their own, even though sewing machine repair hasn't been their 'day job' LOL)

We like pictures. I'm on dial-up and so if you can reduce them it helps me and I've noticed that even when I have access to hi-speed connections, the page loads faster when the pictures are 480x640. Also the really large pictures won't upload to the site.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.