View Single Post
Old 04-17-2016, 04:57 AM
OurWorkbench

A Redwood Workstand Base

While the swing frame is in process, it gives me a chance to finally build the redwood base I've mentioned before. A beautiful week of weather allowed me to get it to the state you see in the picture below. It still needs a final sanding, but serves to show the look of a base in natural wood. If left unfinished, redwood takes on a sort of rustic patina. With a clear coat of some kind, such as Deft or varnish, the natural grain and color would be further accentuated.

(Redwood Base)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]547960[/ATTACH]

The base is held together by two lag bolts on either end. They are recessed below the surface, as shown, away from hands when the stand is picked up or carried..

(Recessed Bolt Heads)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]547961[/ATTACH]

The support arms on either end are adjustable due to the slightly pointed end of the cross member. As seen below, tightening or loosening the bolts will cause each arm to rock inward or outward. The arms are adjusted to be perfectly vertical, to properly accept the swing frame. There s a more detailed diagram of this, the fourth picture down, in a previous post on this thread, at http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post7234164

(Arm Adjustment)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]547962[/ATTACH]

I made the center support circle out of the same birch plywood I used for the base of the welding jig in the last post. I had a little left over and it works nicely.

(Center Circle)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]547963[/ATTACH]

Sooo... after a little sanding, I'll need to decide what kind of finish to apply. I could even paint it, either the gray like the first workstand base, or some other decorative color. I'd welcome any thoughts that all of you might have.

In any case, when I get the experimental welded metal swing frame back, I'll have a base to put it in.

More soon,

John
Attached Thumbnails redwoodbase.jpg   recessedboltheads.jpg   armadjustment.jpg   centercircle.jpg