View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 03:47 PM
ctyankee

Several years back I had new neighbors The guy popped over every so often to borrow stuff from my hubby, but I hadn't met his wife, who was pregnant. When the baby was brought home from the hospital, the new dad was excited & stopped me in the driveway to show her off. I said, wait, I have a little something for the baby. So I ran into my house to grab the baby socks I hand-knitted in fine wool. When I went back outside, they had disappeared into their house. So I knocked on the door. The new mom (I think) opened the door a crack & I said to her, I have something for the baby. She reached out & took the gift & closed the door. So I still didn't get to meet her. Anyway, it gets better. Months go by, I still don't see the mom, but the guy is often at our door borrowing something. One day, as he's standing in our kitchen, I finally said to him, do the socks fit the baby? He was startled & started stuttering, well, she has a lot of socks. I exploded. You mean you're comparing my hand-knit socks to Walmart socks!!!!! ​The thing is, I would've loved to have made the baby a quilt like I do for all the new babies within earshot (& beyond), but after the socks incident, I decided to pass.