View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 03:19 AM
Shorebird

Originally Posted by christy81 View Post
Hi everybody. I just joined the forum yesterday and have received the warmest welcome. Since I am a beginner and have never quilted before what would be the best sewing machine to purchase? What functions am I looking for if any on it? Is a used sewing machine just as good? Thank you for any and all suggestions.
I have been quilting for YEARS, and when I started back at this wonderful hobby, I started with a used "old" (15-91) Singer that I got for $50.00. Had it services (another $50.00) and am still using it.....My most recent purchase was a Bernini 1630 that I got for $600 at my Bernini deal;er, who took it in on trade.......It is SO QUIET that you really cannot hear it running......I concur with the other suggestions to visit dealers in your area......try out several machines, but start out with something basic that is good quality ( I would stay away from the new Singers that Joann Fabric sells because they seem to have many problems )...A good used machine from a dealer is something you will not go wrong with..........HAVE FUN with your new hobby......and CONGRATS on finding and joining this Board at the beginning of your journey!