View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 AM
vjengels

Yes,
there is a video on U Tube I found one day because I have the same complaint. I typed in hand basting quilt tops, or something similar; what came up was a video using 2 pieces of lumber, I think she used interior trim.... anyway, you starch both the top & back, load the back right side out on one bar, the batting stays loose, unrolled... the top gets loaded on another bar, but right side in. you lay the backing down on your table, unroll it towards you, maybe 18 or so inches, make sure it's smooth. put your batting down on top of that, then start to unroll your top towards you the same amount as the backing, smoothing it out, and making sure it's even... then she did this great harringbone stiitch that kept the sandwich from moving, and it'll stay like that until you're ready to quilt, tomorrow, next year... when ever! I love this method! and I bought a spool of water soluble thread, I don't have to cut out any basting..
you should take a peak at it. by the way, the size of the quilt you can work on this is only limited by how long your bars, and table are, my husband bought 2 pcs of 8 ft 1x4 and sanded them smooth for me, he even drilled a hole in the end so I can hang them when not in use.
Good luck