Thread: Hello from GA!
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Nessi

Default Hello from GA!

So my only sewing experience in the past has been garment/costume. I have used a Brother CS 8150 for about 9 years now, but really only a few times per year when making a costume or repairing clothes. I've been looking lately to get into quilting (it looks like such fun!) but haven't been sure where to start. I finally just decided first to check out if my machine could do some of the things that might be needed or even just useful. It was already giving me some issues (threading, bobbin winder mainly) but when I tried dropping the feed dogs (it has or should say had the feature) they dropped but have refused to come back up. With the sum of all the issues (and there have been other persistent issues that made sewing tedious sometimes) I have decided to give up on the old girl and find a replacement. The machine is really only worth $100 and repairs would cost $90...just don't see the use in it given past frustrations.

So I was looking at going a little step up and tried out a couple of other machines, Baby Lock and Janome. At the Janome dealer I tried out the DC2014 (which is actually fairly similar to my old Brother only much better quality). At the Baby Lock dealer, I was shown the Rachel which is at a similar price point. They're both very nice machines and better than what I currently have. Unfortunately for my bank account, I also looked at entry level (and by entry level still way above what I'm used to sewing on!) quilting machines. Janome's Skyline S3 and Baby Lock's Katherine. The Skyline seemed to be a bit easier to use, particularly with being able to sew a curved seam. The Katherine (currently same price due to a sale) does come with more accessories (for example the Katherine comes with 14 feet vs the Skyline's 7 feet).

Firstly, I'm wondering if stepping up to the quilting machines is worth the investment as something to grow into or if I should stay at something more fitting to my current experience with the lower end models. Does anyone have experience with any of the machines or any input with pros or cons with either? Any input on the brands?

So grateful to any help anyone can offer!

Last edited by Nessi; 06-04-2016 at 05:13 PM.