Hello from GA!

Old 06-04-2016, 05:02 PM

Default Hello from GA!

So my only sewing experience in the past has been garment/costume. I have used a Brother CS 8150 for about 9 years now, but really only a few times per year when making a costume or repairing clothes. I've been looking lately to get into quilting (it looks like such fun!) but haven't been sure where to start. I finally just decided first to check out if my machine could do some of the things that might be needed or even just useful. It was already giving me some issues (threading, bobbin winder mainly) but when I tried dropping the feed dogs (it has or should say had the feature) they dropped but have refused to come back up. With the sum of all the issues (and there have been other persistent issues that made sewing tedious sometimes) I have decided to give up on the old girl and find a replacement. The machine is really only worth $100 and repairs would cost $90...just don't see the use in it given past frustrations.

So I was looking at going a little step up and tried out a couple of other machines, Baby Lock and Janome. At the Janome dealer I tried out the DC2014 (which is actually fairly similar to my old Brother only much better quality). At the Baby Lock dealer, I was shown the Rachel which is at a similar price point. They're both very nice machines and better than what I currently have. Unfortunately for my bank account, I also looked at entry level (and by entry level still way above what I'm used to sewing on!) quilting machines. Janome's Skyline S3 and Baby Lock's Katherine. The Skyline seemed to be a bit easier to use, particularly with being able to sew a curved seam. The Katherine (currently same price due to a sale) does come with more accessories (for example the Katherine comes with 14 feet vs the Skyline's 7 feet).

Firstly, I'm wondering if stepping up to the quilting machines is worth the investment as something to grow into or if I should stay at something more fitting to my current experience with the lower end models. Does anyone have experience with any of the machines or any input with pros or cons with either? Any input on the brands?

So grateful to any help anyone can offer!

Last edited by Nessi; 06-04-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:55 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
If I were you, I'd make a few quilts on your current machine. Then you would have a better idea about what features you would really need/use.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:09 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from HOT Southern California. I use to sew garments too, but when I was laid off, I picked up quilting and have never looked back. I bought a Bernina in the 90s because that was the best quality machine for $1000. And she is still going strong. You might want to look dealers that have used machine and see if something works for your budget. For quilting, you just need a good workhorse and it doesn't know if you are sewing or quilting. Good luck in your search.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 06-05-2016, 04:03 AM

welcome from Virginia!
Old 06-05-2016, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. If your old machine is going to cost as much to fix as it's worth, then you are probably better off buying something new. You can do a lot of straight line quilting without lowering your feed dogs for free motion quilting. As to what machine will suit you, try a lot of different brands to see what you like. Bring a list of features you want with you and see what you can get in your price range. I am not familiar with Janome or baby lock machines so I can't offer an opinion.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:58 AM

welcome from se TX
Old 06-05-2016, 07:11 AM

*** Hi! Y'all from the upstate of South Carolina.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:51 PM

Welcome from central Ky !
Old 06-05-2016, 02:04 PM

Another warm welcome from Southern California! I learned to sew on the Singer 15-91, and sewed most of my clothes growing up. I love the machine and still use it from time to time. A few years back I wanted a sewing machine for "quilting" and went to the LQS which happens to be a Janome dealer. Told the lady I was not into fancy sewing and ended up buying the Janome MC 6600P. It has been wonderful. Then a couple years later I went to take my little FW into have it serviced and they happen to be a dealer for Husqvarna and I fell in love with an embroidery machine. They had a floor model on sale within my budget and full warranty and I bought it. So I guess what I am trying to say, don't totally limit yourself to what you do now. If you plan to expand yourself, buy the best machine you can afford, you won't regret it.