Old 01-27-2010, 09:56 AM
QBeth

Originally Posted by ftkls501
I have had so much trouble with this machine trying to free motion quilt on it i spend more time rethreading or fixing something else with it. The thread is always breaking and i am always changing what i think needs to be changed. Can some one give me some pointers?
Let me take a guess at a couple of things. If I read your post correctly, thread breaking is the main problem, not the machine, per se.

First, do you have the correct size needle for the thread you're using? Harriet Hargrave has a wonderful book called Heirloom Quilting or some such. She talks about free motion quilting (FMQ), the right needle & thread combinations, etc.

Secondly, it looks like you're using a hopping foot which is correct. Are you also using a single hole throat plate? The standard plate for most machines has an oval opening that allows for zigzig sewing. The single hole helps keep the fabric taut.

Thirdly... wow, I'm doing better than I thought! :-) did you drop your feed dogs (or, cover them with an index card taped down if you can't drop them)?

Setting up for FMQ is a process unto its self. A number of things have to come together for it to work smoothly. Hope my questions help. Good luck!