Old 01-27-2010, 10:18 AM
mytwopals

Originally Posted by ftkls501
Yes I have the feed dogs down,I think i have the right thread and needle but will check. I will get the book you have talked about as well thanks so much
I have the same machine, a very good one by the way, which is mounted on a Grace quilt frame. This machine has only 1 stitch, a straight stitch and the feed dogs do not lower. There is a cover plate, which is attached to prevent the feed dogs from grabbing the fabric and it has only a single hole for the needle to pass through. I have not had any thread breakage problems with mine. I use either Gutterman 100% Cotton Machine Quilting thread both top and bobbin or YLI invisible thread on top, with Gutterman in the bobbin. Quality thread will make a difference in this high speed semi-industrial machine.

My first questions are regarding the thread. Which thread is breaking? The top thread or the bobbin thread? Also, what brand of thread? What is the thread made of? 100% Cotton, Rayon, Polyester? What size thread?

My second set refer to the sewing machine. How long ago was the machine oiled? When was it last cleaned? What speed setting are you using? High, Meduim, or Low? How long has it been, since the needle was changed? Are you using the special needles specifically for that high speed machine (HLX, I think. I'm at work and don't have any of my needles handy.)? What size needle? Does the machine sew straight stitches consistently, without the thread breaking?