Thread: Hello from GA!
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 03:19 PM
thrums

Welcome from TN!

I have a 90’s Bernina for projects and a Janome 3160 for quilting. I purchased the Janome because I needed a lighter weight machine to carry to workshops. It doesn’t have as many features as a higher end quilt machine, but I love it. I cannot use it for projects with heavy fabric or really thick layers, but I have my Bernina for that.

You have a number of options though. I understand there are a plethora of quilt shops and quilt groups around Atlanta. Visit quilt guilds and workshops and visit with the quilters. Read online reviews from a variety of sources.

If you have a trusted dealer with used models you might consider that. Also you may find a fellow quilter who wants to trade up. If unsure of the working condition of a machine ( as with a car) take it to a repair shop to make sure it is in working order. You’ll pay for a cleaning and get recommendations.

If you are near a quilt show (eg AQS) you can try out many models and brands. Often times you can get a discount at the end of the show so dealers don’t have to take the machine back home. I got $50 off a sewing table at the end of a Ricky Tims workshop some years back.

Good Luck and welcome to the community!