View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 07:46 AM
Dolphyngyrl

Craftsy has a lot of quilting classes that are great you can start with straight line quilting on your projects but I wouldn't FMQ an actual project until you have had some practice. I go to joanns or any fabric shop and buy the cheapest muslin several yards(I find the 108 inch backing muslin gives you more to work with and then I get contasting threads to play with. For cotton I only use superior king Tut (most other brands shred) and poly my favorite to use isacord or superior. If you want to SITD with your walking foot I use a finer thread or invisible. My 3 favorite instructors on craftsy are Patsy Thompson, Cindy Needham, and Ann Petersen. I also like the ruler quilting classes. Before I do a design I practice drawing the design on paper this creates muscle memory. for FMQ gloves or some other type of grip and a slick surface are necessary. A large extension table or a recessed machine are also necessary so there is no drag. The key to becoming better at it is to concentrate on matching your hand speed with the machine speed. Once you master that you should be fine to move onto real projects for FMQ.