Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting Started with Machine Quilting >

Getting Started with Machine Quilting

Getting Started with Machine Quilting

Old 06-12-2016, 03:47 AM

Default Getting Started with Machine Quilting

One of my quilting goals this summer is to learn to machine quilt, but I'm not sure where to start. Should I learn how to use a walking foot and start with straight lines or should I try free motion first? I have several completed tops for table runners and wall hangings that I thought would make good projects to learn on. I'll be using my Brother 270D machine. (I bought this machine 6 or 7 years ago to try machine embroidery. Now I have an embroidery only machine so decided to try the sewing part of this one. I was pleasantly surprised to find out how much I enjoy sewing with it!)
Are there tutorials or books you would recommend to get started? I've seen a lot of videos on FMQ but wasn't sure if that's where I should start. Besides a walking foot, what else might I need?
I enjoy hand quilting, but I think I would complete more projects if I could also quilt by machine.
Any advice will be appreciated!
Carol
Old 06-12-2016, 04:13 AM

Check out the classes that Craftsy offer. There are several for beginners and are frequently priced at $19.99 with sales and promos. My suggestion is to use a practice sandwiches that are about fat quarter size. Learn to do straight lines with both walking foot (this is not FMQ) and FMQ. I do most all my stitch in the ditch FMQ now. I have used patterned fabric as FMQ motifs-flowers, leaves, animals, etc. That practice gives freedom to follow designs without having to draw them first. Check out the InboxJaunt web site for great info. Good luck and I hope you enjoy machine quilting as much as I do.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:19 AM

I would recommend you look up Leah Day. She's a great advocate for machine quilting and has tons of resources available.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

When I started to machine quilt I starting doing simple quilting such as "stitch in the ditch". When you get comfortable know the speed and how the machine moves the quilt along, then start trying some FMQ. I found it easier at first to follow a line so you wouldn't have to worry about what direction to head. Just remember, it took practice to learn to cook and the same is the same for FMQing.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:46 AM

Craftsy has a lot of quilting classes that are great you can start with straight line quilting on your projects but I wouldn't FMQ an actual project until you have had some practice. I go to joanns or any fabric shop and buy the cheapest muslin several yards(I find the 108 inch backing muslin gives you more to work with and then I get contasting threads to play with. For cotton I only use superior king Tut (most other brands shred) and poly my favorite to use isacord or superior. If you want to SITD with your walking foot I use a finer thread or invisible. My 3 favorite instructors on craftsy are Patsy Thompson, Cindy Needham, and Ann Petersen. I also like the ruler quilting classes. Before I do a design I practice drawing the design on paper this creates muscle memory. for FMQ gloves or some other type of grip and a slick surface are necessary. A large extension table or a recessed machine are also necessary so there is no drag. The key to becoming better at it is to concentrate on matching your hand speed with the machine speed. Once you master that you should be fine to move onto real projects for FMQ.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:55 PM

Leahday.com will tell you from step one. How to set up your machine, what tools you might need. She has many videos free on her website and you-tube, but I would start with her website. She now has some classes for sale on Craftsy and her website, but I think to get started the free ones are good. To practice, I bought kid/baby panels, on sale preferably because I wasn't very motivated to just stitch on practice pieces. You can then donate the finished items, if you choose.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:23 PM

If you do a web search "How to Machine Quilt" you will find lots of you-tubes to watch.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

This is what I did and watched lots of videos. I do mostly straight line and as my neighbor calls it "Up on the bank" which is just about 1/8-1/4" from the ditch. And a few curves.
Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
When I started to machine quilt I starting doing simple quilting such as "stitch in the ditch". When you get comfortable know the speed and how the machine moves the quilt along, then start trying some FMQ. I found it easier at first to follow a line so you wouldn't have to worry about what direction to head. Just remember, it took practice to learn to cook and the same is the same for FMQing.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:00 AM

Thank you all for the tips and advice! I think I am ready to jump in and try some practice pieces using my walking foot after a trip to Joann's to replenish my muslin and batting supply. I'm sure I'll be back with questions later!
Carol
Old 06-13-2016, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

There are whole books written on the subject. Perhaps you could visit the local library to check one or two out and get the basics down by reading. That is how I started by reading. The needles, thread, battings, machine set up and everything should be covered in it so you feel confident enough to begin. If you like the book you could purchase it to reference later. Also, like the gals said U tube and craftsy are video teaching aids.

I started with pot holders being the practical person I am not wanting to waste anything.